6.5 Injector Pump

MustangDiesel

Reaction score
Does anyone know the differences between an injector pump for the 6.2 and the mechanical 6.5 Turbo? Buddy has a 93 1 ton with a 6.5 Turbo. He bought a pump for it and later found out it was for a 6.2. Diesel mechanic told him he could turn it up but the truck doesn't run right now. At about 1800 to 2000 RPM it surges bad. Below 1800 or above 2000 it runs good has a lot more power than it did with old pump. Just wondering if anything can be done short of another pump replacement as money is tight and this is a welding truck he doesn't drive everyday.:dunno

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Sounds like a timing problem to me. The mechanic that "turned up" the pump needs to fix his mistake, IMO. The mechanical pumps are the same for the most part.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
There's really no difference between the pumps, how was the engine timed? Go to The Diesel Page for tips and tuning for the GM's, it's an excellent resource.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Towcat,

After I said timing, I thought about the lift pump. But he says it comes back in after 2000rpm, not like a dead stall. Interesting problem to diagnose with out being there.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start with the simplest.
change out the fuel filters first and then do the lift pump.
pulling a injection pump on these motors is a straight up *****, so I am all for doing the simple stuff before reopening that can of stinking worms.