6.5 idle up project.

SASKR

Reaction score
Good day folks, I spend most of my time @ the Ford 7.3IDI forum. However the shop I now work @ has 2 late 90's Chevy 6.5 Turbo diesels. Both are electronic pumps. We also have a 96 F450 with a 7.3 Powerstroke. The Ford already has the factory idle up box in the cab. I'd like to be able to idle up the Chevs for faster warm up, we have had a week of -50 weather . I know that there is a DIY kit outlined on another site that will idle up the Powerstrokes. However I can't find anything on the Chevy. I tried the "search" but got nothing. Also the 6.5 page want you to join before posting any questions. I may have to join the "page" if we have any problems with the 6.5's. Perhaps some members on this site also post on the page & could ask around for me. THX much, Rick

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Saskatchewan?

Check out Kennedy Diesel's tech tips on his web page (google search) - awesome instructions on how to install hi-idle on all 6.5 apps...

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW - dieselplace.com is where you want to go for 6.5 information....don't waste your time with the 'page'....

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh dear. At our tactful best, were we? :rolleyes:

I checked out Kennedy's page, and found the dieselpage stuff. Just looking quickly thru - it seemed to be mostly books/reference pubs. Looked at his turbo performance stuff for our 6.5TD's and got kinda confused. Thought I was looking at Heath's page. Same stuff, even similar pricing. :confused:
I never realized other folks sold Heath's stuff.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
A site that I've been banned from....:angel:

Jim's a pretty forgiving guy... The page was the first for GM diesels and has a wealth of knowledge. Either you join the forums for free or pay for the content, both are very helpful. It's the place to be for 6.5 info!;Sweet

The place on the other hand is full of info learned at the page... Of course you probably think all of the 6.5 guys over there came up with thier own stuff...

Back to the origional topic. Go to www.kennedydiesel.com then click on the tech tips at the top right. From there go to 6.5 tips and then the fast idle link. It has all you'll need to know to idle up your 6.5s. You'll need a couple of ecm pins and a switch. Choices of: 1070 RPM, 1360 RPM, or 1600 RPM.

SASKR

Reaction score
THX for the replies guys. I will check out kennedy site. I may be back in touch for more info on these trucks as time goes on. I've got some things to clean up in the shop, reorganize, etc, . It will make a huge difference for the delivery boys to be able to idle up these trucks. By the way how do you know how to spell Saskatchewan, are you also a Canuck. Cheers Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online