6.4 Liter front bumper retrofit on 1993 F350

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by oneowner93f350, Feb 12, 2018.

1. oneowner93f350

oneowner93f350 Registered User

I see pictures of the front bumper from a 6.4 Liter installed on a 90's F series pickup. Has anyone done this conversion, and if so what parts are needed to make this change?

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Just the bumper and brackets, Iirc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. oneowner93f350

Thanks! I'm in the process of installing a Powerstroke intercooler and will need to change the front bumper to get extra air flow. It also looks pretty cool.

4. kuskoal

kuskoal Full Access Member

There's a couple companies that sell the retrofit brackets.

Overkill Fab sells an example. My brother did one on his truck. Big tires make it look WAY better

5. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Someone needs to get some pictures up lol I'm not sure which bumper y'all are referring to.

6. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

2008-2010.

7. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually doesn’t look bad if you like the eBay projector headlight/aluminum grille look

8. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

This bumper / trucks

[​IMG]

Here is an OBS with a 6.4 08-10 bumper

[​IMG]

9. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Assume it was not a direct bolt on even though both trucks are Ford's, like the hidden lights through the bumper

10. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

If these are like the 99-04 bumpers, the tow hooks are part of the bumper mount, and the lights are the factory driving lights and the bracket for them is attached to the bumper.......

Jason1377 likes this.
  11. oneowner93f350

Brackets are ordered from Overkill Fabrication. Only 85.00$. The frame tips that you can see in the second picture can be closed up with a plate that can be used to mount a similar type of tow hook to keep the same look. Thanks to "snicklas" for the pictures. Thanks to "kuskoal" for the source for the mounting brackets. Overkill also has grills for this type of bumper, and other conversion parts for Old Body Style Ford trucks.

12. Golden Helmet

Golden Helmet Full Access Member

I went looking for more pictures of this conversion, and I found another bracket kit for this swap: https://sinisterdiesel.com/i-240836...on-brackets-for-1991-1998-ford-superduty.html

Found a few more pics of trucks that have the 2010 bumper in this thread on another forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1402029-6-4-bumper-on-a-96-obs-2.html

I'm torn on this conversion. I want to see a picture of an OBS with this bumper, no lift, stock 235's and no stupid wheel spacers. Every one I've seen is on a ricer OBS and I hate that look. If it doesn't look awful on a stock-ish truck I might be tempted to do this swap. I swapped my stock '92 bumper for the late model turbo / PSD bumper so I could tuck my foglights inside instead of having them hanging under the bumper. What I also want is front tow hooks and ideally a front receiver hitch behind the license plate. It almost looks like the 2010 bumper would tick all those boxes, and maybe not look too out of place on the truck.

And before someone suggests the obvious, I don't want anything to do with those off-road winch bumpers. They look awesome, but I imagine if I t-bone someone with one of those it'll kill whoever's on the wrong end.

13. Figor

Figor Registered User

That's a nice upgrade. I have a wrinkle in my front bumper and have been looking for a replacement. What year is that bumper.

Oh 08-10 I see. Looks like the frame stubs have to be cut. Dunno if I want that.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  14. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

People won't cut the frame horns for a bumper. But will beat the hell out of/cut the firewall for a bigger downpipe no problem. Lol

15. Golden Helmet

Golden Helmet Full Access Member

I found a couple of videos on this swap, one on an F-150 and one on an F-350. The more I look at it the more I want to do it, I absolutely hate the thought of cutting my frame but at least I'd get front tow hooks out of the deal.