6.2 in 1958 chevy?

Local2ED

Reaction score
Hi, i am thinking about putting a 6.2 GM diesel in a 1958 chevy wagon. Being a Dodge/Cummins man, I know nothing about the GM diesels. I want to go with a automatic and want the simplest install possible but dont know what year to search for. Any help would be great. Also this is in the early planning stages as I havent looked at the car yet but it sounds clean. Thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you've found the right place to talk conversions;Sweet
dimensionally, the 6.2/6.5 family boltup is the same as a SBC. no mount brackets need to be modified. you will have plenty of hood space, so the vertical dimensions are ok too. Bottom line, it's almost virtually a drop-in.
transmissions are a bolt-on conversion from gassers too.
hope this helps.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
To show you how easy it can be, there's a guy who did a late model Caprice with a 6.5 diesel. He's selling on the Chicago Craigslist for 3500.00. Looks like it belonged there from the factory.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To show you how easy it can be, there's a guy who did a late model Caprice with a 6.5 diesel. He's selling on the Chicago Craigslist for 3500.00. Looks like it belonged there from the factory.

Dang....

Here's the link...found it.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/1316831142.html

I would suggest (if I recall correctly) to go w/ a non computerized 6.5 TD (turbo diesel). You'll have more power then the normal 6.5 I don't recall what year they became computerized or what year the 6.5 received the turbo.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
IIRC the mechanical motors were 92-93, then from either mid 93 or 94 and up they went electronic. Heath Diesel knows how to make the electronic jobs go, so I wouldn't write them off.

Deib

Reaction score
For a 6.2 '84 and newer were the better engines.
The older ones were okay but had more head gasket problems.

Local2ED

Reaction score
Sorry for being gone so long. Still may do this yet. I would like a overdrive transmission but being away from GM's for so long I don't know what to look for. So to som it up I would like a 6.2 or non 6.5 with overdrive trans with the least amount of electrical adapting, if that even is possible. If not my next choice would be turbo 350/400. No manuals please, getting to old and lazy for them thank you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being gone so long. Still may do this yet. I would like a overdrive transmission but being away from GM's for so long I don't know what to look for. So to som it up I would like a 6.2 or non 6.5 with overdrive trans with the least amount of electrical adapting, if that even is possible. If not my next choice would be turbo 350/400. No manuals please, getting to old and lazy for them thank you.
a THM700 will live just fine behind a 6.2/6.5 It's a one wire OD trans, so the mods are pain-less not painfree. The other good thing is you can find chev pickups in the 1/2t to the light 3/4t range back int the early to mid 80's with the combination for not much money. everything will be there, electrical for the OD and the mechanical linkage for the TV cable;Sweet once again, bolts no real serious mods involved. here's a pic of a light 3/4t that I just restified.

Attachments

• SL377844.JPG
    SL377844.JPG
    294.7 KB · Views: 12

Local2ED

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the thm700 the same as a 700r? Another question, what is the weight difference between a v8 gasser and a 6.2? Just wondering about front springs. The more research I do the better this project sounds. Like I really need a new project.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the thm700 the same as a 700r? Another question, what is the weight difference between a v8 gasser and a 6.2? Just wondering about front springs. The more research I do the better this project sounds. Like I really need a new project.
thm700 and 700r are the same animal.
the 6.2 weighs roughly the same as a BBC.
i was babysitting 25 6.2 powered trucks long before I got into Fords:eek:cookoo

Local2ED

Reaction score
Thanks for all the useful info Towcat. Sorry about the newby questions but I do own a 92 dodge/cummins, 93 Mercedes 300d, 2005 Volkswagon Jetta Tdi, and do my own repairs. Just don't know anything about Chevy/Gm. I like to have all my ducks in a row before I jump into something so once again thank you for the crash course, Ed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the useful info Towcat. Sorry about the newby questions but I do own a 92 dodge/cummins, 93 Mercedes 300d, 2005 Volkswagon Jetta Tdi, and do my own repairs. Just don't know anything about Chevy/Gm. I like to have all my ducks in a row before I jump into something so once again thank you for the crash course, Ed.
ed-
no need to apologize. I'm going through the same learning curve with my "new to me" w250.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that the 6.5L non turbo was still installed in vans in 1995. Buddy just bought one this year (G3500). The tranny is, unfortunately, computer controlled (found the 'puter under driver seat), but the engine is not. Another friend has a 1995 K2500 and it's a computer controlled 6.5L TD. Vans stayed mechanical and non turbo until the 6.6 Duramax came out, so I'm told. (I guess similar to what Ford is doing currently w/ their vans and trucks, the 6.0 in vans and the 6.4 in trucks).

Depending on the weight difference between the 6.2/6.5 vs a 350/400, you might have to beef up the front suspension, an extra leaf or two (if leaf springs). Plus, you may be able to install an aftermarket turbo. There's was quite a few different configs to turbo the 6.2/6.5's. If I recall, one switched both manifolds and the cross over pipe went over the front of the engine and the turbo was mounted on the passengers side near the center of manifold sticking out- that's what the pic showed.... simple when turbo-ing a older Blazer or pickup w/ plenty of room. :sly

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The best advice I ever heard about a 6.2, is to put a mechanical 6.5 pump & headers on it, with free flowing exhaust. Do use some kind of mufflers. A straight piped 6.2 is almost as obnoxious as a big Driptroit with open cans.
I forget what year range, but somewhere in the early 80's, the 700R4 got some upgrades, before the electronics took over.

Towcat is right about the install. If you can manage a big-block gasser/auto install, the diesel refit should be pretty straightforward.

Good Luck!