6.0l driving me up a wall please help

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have an 03 f250 6.0l with 320000 miles or so.

Changed 6 months ago or so
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

And all of a sudden it die out of the blue ran great before then.

Now took it to the shop they change fuel pump on it said it was running at 30 to 35 psi.

It ran for 30 mins then died tech hooked up his computer and said while cranking was around 280 to 300 psi on the hpop.

So the said hpop was going bad so they replaced it ran great for 30 to 45 mins the die now has no start at all the tech gives up.

So I'm stuck like chuck I got the truck back only paid for parts no labor because all they were doing was putting parts into it.

Bad techs got to love them I tested the FICM it is at 48.9v from key on and injector cycle but haven't tested while starting. My buddy going to help Thursday, but need ideas.

Thanks in advance

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Likely HPO leak. STC fitting, oil rail, injector orings, etc.
Are you familiar with diesel tech Ron (rip) on youtube? He has some great videos on diagnosis. Specifically like doing the hpo air test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just where the icp is located suck it's right on top of the hpop I will not recommend a 03 to 04 6.0l the have a crap hpop, icp and FICM

I guess I can pull the trubo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Just where the icp is located suck it's right on top of the hpop I will not recommend a 03 to 04 6.0l the have a crap hpop, icp and FICM

I guess I can pull the trubo

I love my 03.
Given the mileage, it may be time for an hpop anyway. Invest in a scan tool or AutoEnginuity like I have as it's a necessity with ANY electronic diesel these days. Simple air test will reveal with what's going on with the HP oil system. Unlike the later model Hpop's, the 03 and early 04's have a J-tube setup off the hpop instead of the problematic STC fitting.
Chances are since I don't see if they replaced the HPOP, it may just be that, but grab a shop air adapter for the icp sensor to air test the system to pinpoint the leak. Starting there instead of throwing parts on it will be much more cost effective. People hate them, but they're not that bad to work on. I can have a turbo on the bench in 15 minutes flat to get at the hpop.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like throwing parts at it it because 50 here 100 there starts to add up quickly.

Ill get the shop air to it tomorrow

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK got numbers

Icp 300 to 360 psi
Ipr 84.75%
I'm going to say a leak

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK update hit air to it the other night bad leak. Had both valve covers off dint see a thing but still a leak.

Paid for a hpop discharge line still have a leak but it's just very very faint in the back ground.

I'm thinking of putting dye in the air line to see where it's coming from

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't put air to it with it off 03 has icp and the irp on the cover. And if I do it with an air gun the I can't seam to find the leak

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01