5er tires Bias ply or radial

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
After having a flat on my trip, and not being able to find a radial trailer tire, replacement for a the spare, I'm thinking about going to bia ply tires. So how many run raidial or bia ply tires on your trailers. Does it make a differance? I'm about ready to replace all of the tires and starting to think maybe bias would be better, as in being able to find a replacement along the road.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
When I have ever bought tires I have never had a problem getting them in radial - what size do you run?

Well I take that back I did have a little trouble finding a new tire for the wave runner but it's nothing more than utility trailer with bunks but TSC had it in stock but didn't have it mounted on a rim with the proper number of lugs. But everything else boats and trailer I could always get them with no questions or hesitation.

crazybandb

Reaction score
Being a fulltimer Rv'er and working as tech on them for 8yrs yur trailer would get a better ride with radials tires, dont know what size tires u are running and what gross wg of trailer u have? if u running 15in i'll run a D load range angd if it a 16in i'll run E range tire

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's alot of older trailers with bias ply tires still out there. Biggest reason is the resistance to the sidewalls rolling around. If there is a little sway in the trailer, the radials tend to magnify the sway. If you do put radials back on the trailer, get the ones with the stiffest sidewalls money can buy. Your nerves will thank you for it when you hit a really nasty crosswind.
One more thing, you can never have too many mounted spare tires. It may mean a saved trip or a ruined trip.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Tires are 205/75/15 D load rated. I would like to go with a little bigger tire

crazybandb

Reaction score
tires

Tires are 205/75/15 D load rated. I would like to go with a little bigger tire

Ok are you wanten to go with a wider tire like 225/75/15 you want to check make sure tires wont rub leaf springs and inner wheel walls. cause some trailer dont gave you the room to go bigger

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Actually I'd like to go taller. Towing witha 4x4 I'm nose high on the trailer. All the lift I could get out of tires would be better.

crazybandb

Reaction score
Ok Gruss ?? for you is your under leafspring or on top spring if there are on top of spring you swap them to bottom of spring all need to is weld plate bracket to the top side of axle and that give you about 4 in. higher on trailer

now if you want to go to 16in tires you going tohave change the axle out cause the 16 in has bigger spendle and bigger backing plate and brakes

now they do make a shackle kit to raise the trailer but i dont recommend doing this

hope i was some help

You can get up to a 14 in drop bar and not sure if hidden hitch didnt come out with a 16in drop bar this yr cause the way some new truck hight

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Axles have been flipped already. Don't really want to add shackels. I might just deal with it as is for awhile. More than likely we'll be looking at a new trailer in the next couple of years anyhow. Hitch height is not a problem I have lots of adjustment, but with the hitch lowered to make the trailer run level I only have about 3-4 inches of bed rail clearance.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Gruss...

Lower the truck LOL

Or go to a RV bed. They have built in fuel tanks and tons of storage compartments - I know they are made of money but you can swap them to future trucks I imagine...

But more than likely I personally would just deal with it

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Well, we're starting to look at toy haulers(very early in the process) I saw a hybrid tt the other day with a front deck(at the hitch) that would fit at least 2 quads. Looks like a need idea, if only I knew who made the trailer.

crazybandb

Reaction score
Hey Gruss , i know of two company that make the open front deck Hybird TT

Starcraft

KZ - coyote rock climber

both units are tt with the fold out front buck over the deck

Tell you if you are looking for toy hauler stay way from Extreme - they are nothing but problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle