5'er tire question

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When its tire time again look into the 14 ply Load Range G tires. They come in radials and Bias, I always ran the radials on FB GN when I hotshotted. I run them on my 20' BP w/2-6k axles. I run the 235/85/16's, I dont remember the brand name though. I get them from my local Cooper dealer, not a Cooper tire though. I'll look this weekend and post the brand name.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
When its tire time again look into the 14 ply Load Range G tires. They come in radials and Bias, I always ran the radials on FB GN when I hotshotted. I run them on my 20' BP w/2-6k axles. I run the 235/85/16's, I dont remember the brand name though. I get them from my local Cooper dealer, not a Cooper tire though. I'll look this weekend and post the brand name.

Thanks!

All the buzz right now, are the Michelin XPS RIBS... Everyone that has them, seems to love them..

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I've got a 38' fiver on tandems. Usually only see triples on toyhaulers. I've seen & heard bad things about the michelins. Guy last year at the campground in MB had 'em on a smaller Cardinal & blew 2 of 'em on the way in. Said they weren't cheap either.

How do you like the camper so far?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
How do you like the camper so far?

Haven't gotten to actually use it yet, but love it none the less!

We've had so much snow and rain here, that I dare not pull it from it's parking spot. Don't want to have to dig it out!

When I made the parking spot, I used railroad ties for where the tires are. I also used the same rock (Ballast) that we use on the railroad, under the ties. Everywhere else, is just the rock. There's so much mud under it, that it would sink for sure!

I do use short pieces of RR ties under the landing gear, so all the weight is distributed well....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

That's what happened on a brand new Montana going up to Alaska in 2008. Only had the miles on it from Washington to the Yukon. Wish I could remember the make of tires, but they were the original that came with the 5er. Wasn't my rig, but friends traveling with me, but I got the job of changing the tire. The dog is half wolf my buddy Sam. That's my rig, Red truck behind.

Blowing up the one pic, you can see the N, which makes me think they were Goodyear Marathon. Made in China ?

Last edited:

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
This is a little late, but good luck on the Carlisle tires. IMHO they are about the worst tires on the market. Just make sure you have a good jack for tire changing.

Just got off the phone with the dealer... I have an appointment first-thing tomorrow, to get some LT's put on it!

For FREE, no less! :thumbsup:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

That's what happened on a brand new Montana going up to Alaska in 2008. Only had the miles on it from Washington to the Yukon. Wish I could remember the make of tires, but they were the original that came with the 5er. Wasn't my rig, but friends traveling with me, but I got the job of changing the tire. The dog is half wolf my buddy Sam. That's my rig, Red truck behind.

Blowing up the one pic, you can see the N, which makes me think they were Goodyear Marathon. Made in China ?

My bad. Blowed up another pic not shown that I have real big . They are not Goodyear. Could only see the word Mission, what ever they are. Didn't want to mislead anyone about Goodyear. Sorry.

indian347

Reaction score
I just put 5 Carlies on a 28 ft 5er. Blew one going to Ohio, had to go to 5 tire stores to get a spare ! Blew another on the same side on the way back from Indiana to Florida. Now I'm no dummy we found a tire store and i bought a spare for my spare Now i made it back with a new spare and a new casing, now im going back to turn in the blowe out so i'l have 3 spares one on a wheel and 2 not. Jim

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I just put 5 Carlies on a 28 ft 5er. Blew one going to Ohio, had to go to 5 tire stores to get a spare ! Blew another on the same side on the way back from Indiana to Florida. Now I'm no dummy we found a tire store and i bought a spare for my spare Now i made it back with a new spare and a new casing, now im going back to turn in the blowe out so i'l have 3 spares one on a wheel and 2 not. Jim

Sorry to hear about your problems! Sure makes me glad, we went with the LT tires on our 5er...

indian347

Reaction score
Carlisle tires

Its Me agine with 4 new Carlisle tires . Last weel we went Lake Okeechobee About 100 miles on the way back in the rain i blew another. Now i only have 1 left.My trailer is 7500 dry. it runs 15 so i guess LT are next.:dunno