56 Ford COE from Reno, Nevada area... Detroit Diesel 8.2L V8 info???

56 Ford COE

Reaction score
IDIot - what issues have you seen putting a Banks Turbo into a 7.3 IDI? I always worry about the bottom end not being strong enough, etc... Any mods necessary to keep it bulletproof before I put the Sidewinder kit on it? The Banks Turbo will go in the white 91 Ford 4x4 Ambulance soon. Thanks!

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, these people are an AMAZING font for incredible information on a MULTITUDE of diesels.

I'm with JWaltrus, if it's your project, do whatever you want, and let NO ONE talk you out of what you want for YOUR project.

Those 8.2's are regarded as either FANTASTIC, or CRAP, depending on wherever you look; the story is the same with the Caterpillar 3208 engine. I have plans to use both in some of my projects, so I'm not one to 'bag' on either one.

PaulRicciardi

Reaction score
We have one in a F700 dump truck backed by an Allison. It's ok. And by "ok" I mean it starts up and runs and goes down the road. With a good load in the bed going up a hill you pretty much put it to the floor...and pray you make it to the top.
It wouldn't be my first choice in a medium duty truck, but ours has been fairly reliable and, you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. So we keep it running.
Good luck

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
56 Ford COE,

Fwiw, I truly LIKE your snub-nose. - Btw, I have a friend, who cuts pulpwood for a living up in NE Texas, who has driven many, many, trouble-free miles with an 8.2 in his log-truck.
(Evidently, you get a GOOD one or a BAD one.)

Vernon is pleased with its cost of operation, too.

Hoping to see the finished restoration, soon.

yours, satx

56 Ford COE

Reaction score
Satx78247 - I've spent a fair amount of time on Zarzamora St. working on a Ford/Grumman Step Van with a 390 gasser back in the day. People were very nice there and the Pozole was cheap and good!

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
56 Ford COE,

I know that area well and as a relative "newcomer" to SATX, I agree 100% with you on this city.
(I think what I like best is NO SNOW. = I've done my sentence with a snow-shovel.)

yours, satx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online