5.3 Gasser

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not
I drive a 2000 G.M.C. 2500 on my job as a sales person most of the time and it will turn 300k this week. Uses no oil, 2 sets of plugs,1 alternator, 2 belts, lower idler. Gets serviced every 5k. These little engines are so smooth. quiet and it is hard to believe they will last this long.
Geno

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geno,
How is the rest of the truck with rattles... and is the tranny still smooth?..... The few I have seen with that many miles had a very sloppy drivetrain....

dpetdog99

Reaction score
Is it a 2500? I thought the 2500's only engine was the 6.0 liter. My pop has the 6.0 in his truck and it sure is quiet when warmed up, more quiet than my LeSabre. But it has the General's piston slap on a super cold start, and it quiets down almost instantly. The thing sure has guts too, don't be afraid to punch it getting on the freeway, and watch out, it takes off like a rocket. For a stock motor, it's sweet.

I can't vouch for a truck with 300k miles on it, but my pops Silverado is still super quiet, no rattles or squeaks except for one. The drivers seat back squeaks when you push (sit) back on it. I think it has more to do with dad (or me) sitting in the seat and pushing our bodies up against the back of the seat with our feet, you know, to sit up more straight. If you don't push back, it doesn't squeak.

Have a good one!!

Dan

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99s and early 2000 model 2500s had the 5.3 as an option, still with the 4L80E though.

WOJO 1

Reaction score
My brother had an 02' with 90K in 2 years that drove near perfect when he traded it.