4x4 interlock?

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the interlock on the 4x4 lever for shifting into 4 low? My truck goes into 4 hi just fine but the mechanism that you push down on is all corroded and jammed. I figured if I ground down the tang that holds the lever from going into 4 low I could use it, but I dont know how well that would work. Any ideas?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not eliminate the tang or the notches. Mine rusted and froze in the down position, so I was going forward and back without having to push it down, but it kept popping out of low range. I got it freed up, and it quit popping out, so I think the tang and the notches help hold it in the mode it's in.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Take it off the side of the transmission, and put it in a bench vice to hold it. Knock out the roll pins at the ends and pull the plunger out of the cylinder....CLEAN it REALLY well and grease it with a good quality grease and put it all back together...this should be done every once in a while as these cost an arm, a leg and a ******** from the stealership!!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just be careful from what i know the brackets are prone to cracking and breaking off on the 4by shifter. especially when they start freezing up and people crank on them. when i was parting out a truck a ton of requests for that part but it actually broke when we took it apart.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've sold quite a few of those white metal POS, do as Goofy said and you won't have any troubles....The shifter in my 92 needs a grease job as described when I have time....I have a spare 92-97 4wd shifter here but if mine breaks it's getting a 87-91 cast steel unit, virtually indestructable. I've taken siezed white metal units, disassembled them, cleaned and greased them and sold them for $100+....Usually the day before a snow storm....LOL

zpd307

Reaction score
why did they change. there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the style of mine in my 90. it was pretty sticky, but i cleaned it up really well when i did the tranny swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin