48re problems - starts out in 2nd gear

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this part of the forum. I am in process of buying a 99 24v and have a question. I've been searching around, and have some things that might answer my question, but I'm new enough to Dodge terminology that I may misunderstand.

I test drove it today and actually took it to my friends at the local diesel shop and had them do a once over. The only issue was it would almost always start out in 2nd gear. They made some adjustments and hooked it up to their diagnostic scanner and it acted the same - started in 2nd even the the scanner showed the ECM (or PCM) indicating a shift was taking place, but mechanically nothing happened.

Is this a known problem or something unusual? Any ideas on fixes.

Thanks in advance!

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a 99 it most likley doesnt have a 48 in it, it would have a 47re in it, and I had the same problems, change the governor solenoid and pressure sensor in the valve body, that solved my problem, mine was starting in second sometimes and other times it would start in 1st but skip 2nd and shift right to 3rd the guy at the dodge garage said the fluid was flooding the governor solenoid wich caused to much pressure or something like that good luck

r08ert209cali

Reaction score
Govenor pressure sensor and transducer are probabbly bad.If they are coverd in metal shavings then the trany is done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online