3G Small Case Alternator Belt Troubles

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, ha! I expected to get harassed about a dinky little alternator LOL The large case should be a perfect drop in, as I've read about many easy installs.

That same reading lead me to believe the small case would work just fine too, BUT it appears that a slight changeup in the belts or a specialty bolt is required.

U could...in theory...take a carrige bolt of correct size thread...ground the square down roundish...till fits in...slot the bolts head w thin cutoff wheelhead and bobs yer uncle...

Just be creative

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose that might work too... a little tough to torque down maybe. There are ways, with tools, to make it work. I have a feeling that the different belt arrangement would appeal to most of us home game mechanics.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I suppose that might work too... a little tough to torque down maybe. There are ways, with tools, to make it work. I have a feeling that the different belt arrangement would appeal to most of us home game mechanics.

I think I'd just get ahold of the bolt before I swapped it LOL

I don't want to have to remember I need a different belt than factory when I go into the parts store 5 years from now because I'm going to replace them all :dunno

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well case closed, wrong f'n belt to begin with, which was too long.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. I didn't realize that there were small and large 3G alternators. Well glad you figured it out regardless.