38 Gallon replacement rear tank for 1984' vintage f-250s

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Has anyone done one of these? This would give me close to a 1,000 mile cruising range. I'm just wondering if I'd need a new float/sender for the larger tank? LMC sells these are direct replacements for the rear 19 gallon - you basically just lose the spare.

Wonder if I can replace the side straddle 16 gallon with a 19? Supposedly the 19 is for long beds. I dunno if my bed is long or short - every one of these supercabs I've ever seen had the same size bed.

Need to fab up a spare carrier too...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Walk it off. If you've got anything close to 12" shoes walk from the back of the truck up to the front of the box. If its around 8ft then you have a long bed. I dont know of any of the older trucks with a short bed though. so odds are you have a long bed.

Bamfster

Reaction score
Google diesel jim. there is a site that shows how to replace the rear tank with a bronco tank (36 gal).

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Can't find the site will continue to look.

Here is the LMC tank:
http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/fdgtk-1984-ford-f250.htm

And of course if I'd been reading I would have noticed this:

"The 38 Gallon Tank is an extra capacity direct replacement tank. Twice the capacity as the original 19 gallon equals twice the mileage without having to refill your tank. Includes lock ring with rubber o-ring, spacers to mount new tank to truck, drop bolts to allow use of existing tank straps or replacement straps and an adaptor kit to extend existing or new sending unit. You must relocate spare tire."

Google diesel jim. there is a site that shows how to replace the rear tank with a bronco tank (36 gal).

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
just put one on my truck this weekend. only advice i can give is to raise the bed! i did it from underneath and it was a royal PITA. broke both fuel fittings, now i've got a big tank that i can't use till i get those repaired. have to wait till the 80 gall aux tank in the bed is empty to lift it. got the parts to fix it, just have too much weight in the bed. also the supplied hardware was to short for my set up, ended up not useing the extensions. had to make up my own. so i'll end up repairing the fuel lines and harpooning both tanks when i lift the bed.
chris

Bamfster

Reaction score
Can't find the site will continue to look.

Here is the LMC tank:
http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/fdgtk-1984-ford-f250.htm

And of course if I'd been reading I would have noticed this:

"The 38 Gallon Tank is an extra capacity direct replacement tank. Twice the capacity as the original 19 gallon equals twice the mileage without having to refill your tank. Includes lock ring with rubber o-ring, spacers to mount new tank to truck, drop bolts to allow use of existing tank straps or replacement straps and an adaptor kit to extend existing or new sending unit. You must relocate spare tire."

got home and checked the actual address it seems to have been removed. anywho the article was that a bronco tank bolts into these truck with no problem...same sender and all.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bronco tank might be the way to go as it would likely be cheaper than an aftermarket tank. Mine is a 45gal. purchased from JC Whitney. It went in like greased lightning. Never have had an easier installation on anything.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Wow, monte do you have a part number for that tank? I may want to do that.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
wow, I just got thinking about it. that tank would cost over $180 to fill around here!

sootman73

Reaction score
does anyone know if it can be made to work on a 94 f250? i would surely like to have the extra capacity seeing as how i drive long distances to school and back.