351m

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
i have a cousin that knows alot about these old trucks. ill give him a call and see what he thinks. ill post back in a few

sassyrel

Reaction score
have you checked,,the veracity of the spark--as a bad coil,,will do the same thing....will it throw a 3/8 long---B L U E spark??? not yellow,,and not red--blue..also--does this have the cd box on the fenderwell???? they will pull the same stunt.......if its a points system--the points may look good--but if the capacitor--has too much humidty in it..well,,there yah go again--

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow i never thought of that. because it hadnt ran in 3 years it just sat and i revived it and drove it for about a week after all the stuff i replaced on the fuel system and then she would start spitting and sputtering then die.. then eventually it just would start and die. so it looks pretty rough actually. so i know they are somewhat cheap. if i replaced that it could possible fix the problem????

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked,,the veracity of the spark--as a bad coil,,will do the same thing....will it throw a 3/8 long---B L U E spark??? not yellow,,and not red--blue..also--does this have the cd box on the fenderwell???? they will pull the same stunt.......if its a points system--the points may look good--but if the capacitor--has too much humidty in it..well,,there yah go again--

as in cd box do you mean voltage regulator?

John Deere

Reaction score
A few ideas, is choke butterfly closing after starting causing it to flood out, is exhaust system plugged up?

78 Fords came from the factory with the non-points distributor with the ignition box on the drivers side fender well. I have a hard time believing someone would change this to a points type distributor. Are you positive you don't have the original Ford ignition system?

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i got the 2bbl rebuilt and like i said before it ran just fine 2 weeks after i got the carb on and i drove it just fine and one day it just pooped out. i take it back it isnt points ran and does have the ignition box....which looks pretty rusted out. im going to test the box and coil here in a few and get back with you guys on my readings from my dmm

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill second the ignition box AKA the brain.common problem with the older fords that use that thing.

John Deere

Reaction score
Exactly, they are just like the cps on the 7.3 PS, need a spare in the glove box. :backoff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7