3126 swaps

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has looked into swapping a 3126 into a Superduty? Seems to be about the same size as a 5.9. That has been done already so will the Cat fit? Spec sheet lists it at about 43 inches long and 38 tall. It doesn't appear to be as big as a DT-466. It is also lighter at 1200 lbs or so. I figure that with some creative weight savings, the truck could/should handle about the same after the swap. Do that and re-gear to 3.50 ish with stock sized tires and you should be able to move/tow anything you can hitch to the truck. So far what I read is the 3126 is less troublesome then the 5.9 in heavier apps.
Kevin

sassyrel

Reaction score
well--a full dress IDI weighs 1050 lbs--i put one on a scale--so--your about 200 heavier--id say just get the heaviest fact springs you could---and anythings possible to put in--just how much time and work!!!!!!!!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how a 3126 compares to this, but someone has put a C-series 8.3l Cummins engine into an F-350 before...actually sold it not too long afterwards; I don't remember the reason, though. He also put in a non-syncro tranny...can't remember what tranny it was, but it may have been a 10 speed Eaton-Fuller? He needed to beef up the front suspension a LOT, and also did a body lift to accomodate both the engine and the tranny...actually, IIRC, he started out with a frame-up restoration, so he was able to build the truck around the engine. It looked really nice when he was done...I think there are some pics on the TDR's website; don't know if actual pictures made it anywhere else or not...

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I don't know how a 3126 compares to this, but someone has put a C-series 8.3l Cummins engine into an F-350 before...actually sold it not too long afterwards; I don't remember the reason, though. He also put in a non-syncro tranny...can't remember what tranny it was, but it may have been a 10 speed Eaton-Fuller? He needed to beef up the front suspension a LOT, and also did a body lift to accomodate both the engine and the tranny...actually, IIRC, he started out with a frame-up restoration, so he was able to build the truck around the engine. It looked really nice when he was done...I think there are some pics on the TDR's website; don't know if actual pictures made it anywhere else or not...

if it was the blue one that sold on ebay, it had a 3 inch body lift and still had to have a pretty good size cowl hood to get everything crammed in there

Ggg

Reaction score
X-code springs will certainly be able to handle the extra weight. The biggest problem I see is integrating the Cat electronics with the Fords.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Run 2 ECM's--make the Cat think it's still in the donor truck, and make the truck think it still has a 351. That, or just run mechanical gauges.

My biggest worry would be keeping the axles in one piece with all the torque & weight. I'd worry about blowing way past the front GAWR.

RenoF250

Reaction score
He is putting it in a Super Duty so the weight should not be a problem and I would hope the axlescan hold the torque. I saw a CAT in a Chevy 3/4 ton awhile back it was supposed to be the same block as the 3126 but a different designation because it was old or marine or something like that. Anyway it barely fit, it sure looked bigger than the PSD to me.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I had a 3116 cat with a Allison mt 645 in a 88 f-350 a body lift and a little cutting and it looked like it belonged in there.