300,000 mile Superduty?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
for these trucks there is only a handfull of things that go wrong. Cam position sensor($30) and 5 min to change. Injector Driver Module IDM ($30 used) 5 min to change and the auto. But if your going to be hauling that faer on a regualr basis i would put the bulit proof BTS or John Woo trans. These are very reliable trucks just like the idi, you just have to learn them
Where do you get IDM's for $30? RacerX has a good auto build too!:sly

Figure the injectors cost 300.00 each, HPOP is 400.00 to 450.00, gaskets, if any of the harnesses need to be done, fuel filter, glowplugs, an oil and filter change, and whatever else needs to be done, plus 100.00/hr or more for labor.
It just gets real expensive really quick.
Ok I'm going to save $100/hr working on my truck!:thumbsup:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
From my experience the only thing that scares me on a high mileage PSD is dropping valves...I've seen a few with 600,000+km's on them that have dropped a valve....My IDI just rolled 429,000KM and it works as good as new....Everything is stock, right down to the pump timing, injectors and GP controller....Not the most powerful old Ford but I'd take it to hell and back when it comes to reliability....I've had a PSD but I still prefer my old IDI....She treats me good and I do the same in return.;Sweet...I drive it daily.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Figure the injectors cost 300.00 each, HPOP is 400.00 to 450.00, gaskets, if any of the harnesses need to be done, fuel filter, glowplugs, an oil and filter change, and whatever else needs to be done, plus 100.00/hr or more for labor.
It just gets real expensive really quick.

$100 an hour?! who is screwing you? I got a guy by me that specalizes in diesels for 55 an hour. From an idi to ford's new 6.4.(he is an idi guru) I dont even know of any dealers that charge 100 an hour:dunno and for the gaskets and harnesses that is only for the glow plugs. i have never heard of the harness going bad for an injector. But yes, the HPOP is 500 and injectors are 300 a piece. BUt an injector pump is How much? and who has em on the shelf? Dont forget as the idi get alot older(newest one is 15 years old already) the parts usually are not stocked and need to be ordered

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
How many of you guys have 300-400k on your rig. would you still trust it enough to let your wife take off towing her horsetrailer to go someplace 1,000 miles away?

My '97 has 312K miles with original injectors. I just got home from a 1900 mile vegoil road trip. Drove my truck to the limit but she didn't let me down. Thought she might but nope. By to the limit I mean two 950 mile single day runs over a 4,000 foot pass, through the Mojave desert at 103*F and climbing steep grades in the truck lanes so my EGTs wouldn't shoot through the roof. No I wasn't pulling a trailer but I did have a total of 140 gallons of fuel aboard. :sly

But wife or not, NOBODY but me drives my truck.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not understanding this fear of the injection system and the panic pricing attached to it. My first PSD had over 200K on it when I got rid of it, original HPOP, original IPR, original ICP, original IDM and reman'd injectors to the tune of $600.00. If you are going to take it into the Ford garage and have the work done they will surely sell you all those parts I listed above at new off the shelf pricing and attach that large labor bill to it as well. But if you are going to go that route then I suggest just buying new so you have the warranty to cover your ass.

There is nothing wrong with buying a used PSD nor is there any huge pitfalls in owning a high mile PSD as long as the previous owner did his maintenance. 99% of the users on this site are driving previously owned PSD's and a large portion of them have high miles.

With that said, if you have doubts about the PSD you are interested in simply do not buy it.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
$100 an hour?! who is screwing you? I got a guy by me that specalizes in diesels for 55 an hour. From an idi to ford's new 6.4.(he is an idi guru) I dont even know of any dealers that charge 100 an hour:dunno and for the gaskets and harnesses that is only for the glow plugs. i have never heard of the harness going bad for an injector. But yes, the HPOP is 500 and injectors are 300 a piece. BUt an injector pump is How much? and who has em on the shelf? Dont forget as the idi get alot older(newest one is 15 years old already) the parts usually are not stocked and need to be ordered

The rate is market in many areas of the country and sometimes even more. If you have someone that is good and only charges 55.00 and hour God bless. But the bottom line with a used high mileage PSD is that you hope that the previous owner did what they were supposed to do with them elsewise you get really stuck.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My local CAT truck shop is $130/hr, our engine work labour rate is $90+/hr....Expensive training involved at the dealers and very expensive tooling to do the work...I see it everyday at work....A guy *****'s about a labour quote to do a job at $90/hr....So he goes down the street to shop owned by a former boss of mine - $55/hr for everything but they don't have engine work tooling....1hr later they are on the phone to us trying to "borrow" a tool....Nope, not gonna happen say's my shop forman but " I will send a guy over to do it for you for $90/hr"....:sly.....The other shop takes twice as long for 1/2 the money - where's the savings in that???cookoo

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
My local CAT truck shop is $130/hr, our engine work labour rate is $90+/hr....Expensive training involved at the dealers and very expensive tooling to do the work...I see it everyday at work....A guy *****'s about a labour quote to do a job at $90/hr....So he goes down the street to shop owned by a former boss of mine - $55/hr for everything but they don't have engine work tooling....1hr later they are on the phone to us trying to "borrow" a tool....Nope, not gonna happen say's my shop forman but " I will send a guy over to do it for you for $90/hr"....:sly.....The other shop takes twice as long for 1/2 the money - where's the savings in that???cookoo

Thank you BRT!

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, all depends on maintenance. The two vans in my sig were bought from the local city van pool fleet. The '90 was bought used by the city from another city van pool system while the 99 was bought new. Both were fleet maintained up until I got them. The 90 has (they said 250K), but I found a sticker and did some math.... I think it only has 155K. The 99 just turned 220K today.... already put 3K since I got it in Nov of 08.

A friend's father just bought a 99 F250 w/ just under 200K. He'll prob. end up keeping that truck forever (as his 94 PS).

The 77 KW in my sig says it has 9XX,*** on the odo. :eek: and the engine says it was a 1977. So I'm not sure if it's the original or a rebuilt..... but it runs okay. I've seen older rigs selling for $25K..... but it was mint and you could do long haul with it still.

My old 83 F150..... I'd trust it driving all over the state. Left me in the field once, but it was the distributor going T/U (bushing gave out- was original distributor). Not the smoothest ride or the prettiest, but I'd trust it on a trip. Drove it to college in the late 90's.... and that was before the GV OD.

Some question the idea of 'dumping' money into in an older vehicle when the cost could be a significant portion of the vehicles value. The "you'll never get what you put into it out if you sell" is the argument.

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ but if its psid for... you are just maintaining your investment, verse maintenance + a payment...now they get you coming and going... 3/4/5/600 a month to have it sit in your riveway, the $X.YZ a month to keep it from just sitting in your driveway.

My 93 Crew, Turbo IDI, I bought at 283,000 and immediately took on a hot shot run, namp aId, to Spokane, to Seattle. to Jamul CA, then home. (nampa)

robbieyukon

Reaction score
They will last as long as you take care of them. My mechanic services a 96 F350 with just under 700,000 miles. Normal wear and tear stuff, oil every 4k, and all fluids every year. When I see it I will get a picture.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Yup, all depends on maintenance. The two vans in my sig were bought from the local city van pool fleet. The '90 was bought used by the city from another city van pool system while the 99 was bought new. Both were fleet maintained up until I got them. The 90 has (they said 250K), but I found a sticker and did some math.... I think it only has 155K. The 99 just turned 220K today.... already put 3K since I got it in Nov of 08.

A friend's father just bought a 99 F250 w/ just under 200K. He'll prob. end up keeping that truck forever (as his 94 PS).

The 77 KW in my sig says it has 9XX,*** on the odo. :eek: and the engine says it was a 1977. So I'm not sure if it's the original or a rebuilt..... but it runs okay. I've seen older rigs selling for $25K..... but it was mint and you could do long haul with it still.

My old 83 F150..... I'd trust it driving all over the state. Left me in the field once, but it was the distributor going T/U (bushing gave out- was original distributor). Not the smoothest ride or the prettiest, but I'd trust it on a trip. Drove it to college in the late 90's.... and that was before the GV OD.

Some question the idea of 'dumping' money into in an older vehicle when the cost could be a significant portion of the vehicles value. The "you'll never get what you put into it out if you sell" is the argument.

Both of my KW's were older mechanical jobs and I view at as a badge of honor to have a beautiful high mileage truck that still is going at it. My cabover was over 1.2M on the miles and my W900 was probably a million plus (can't remember), but then again they were built to be rebuilt over and over again, versus the smaller stuff that is throw away. They both were 20 plus years old when I got them, and aside of the fact they were not that comfortable for my frame, I still liked them. The Cummins powered truck was less powerful, but far cheaper to work on versus the Cat which could pull a hill, but not pass a fuel stop or a high priced mechanic. But I knew that going in, and that is the key to the whole discussion. As long as we go in knowing what's up, it's all good. I would like to network with suppliers and techs that can help make the more complex and expensive diesels easier on the pocket book to own. 3500.00 can get a real nice PSD, and if the scale of economy was as good as an IDI it would be a boon to all of us.:yell: