Power loss after 10 minutes on the interstate

davE350

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having a power loss problem with my 86 E350 6.9 & don't know what to do next. I just brought down both tanks, cleaned out all the guck, replaced fuel lines, new fuel filter. It will idle fine & has power until it's running hot. Then, when I start to go up a grade, it will loose power, at 65 I will drop to 55 going uphill & will recover once I get to level grade. Eventually all the faster I can go is 35.

Injector Return lines have been replaced. Out of my right rear view mirror, I only see some black smoke. The IP was rebuilt a little over a year ago by the previous owner & in that time I only put 3,000 miles on the Van. Total miles are at 128,000.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I'd reccomend a new fuel filter, (Yes, I know you've already changed it. Change it again.) and some Howe's in both tanks.
Also, try flipping back and forth between tanks rapidly. Could be something wierd with the valve.

davE350

Reaction score
Actually it's mostly flat here in Ohio, my 6.9 would have fallen out from exhaustion if it were in the Smokey Mountains of Tenn. like I was a week ago. Mays as well parked it & walked, it would have not made them there hills!

This van is always leaving me stranded for whatever reason. My wife wants me to get rid of it but it's to clean to give up on just yet. I keep getting the argument, that's all you ever do is fix that van.

I do think it sat broke in the driveway more than I had it sitting there waiting for me to drive.

Anyone have a pre-97 powerstroke for sale? Just need something reliable to pull a small horse trailer & a 100 or so bails of hay with my 16' landscapers trailer. I thought this Ford van was going to be the work horse I needed! :confused: cookoo cookoo

suv7734

Reaction score
You might want to check the pressure and flow of the transfer pump at the schraeder valve on the filter housing. Also check the rubber line that runs from the frame to the transfer pump and make sure it is not kinked or soft restricticting flow.

davE350

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Will try both suggestions. Need to get it running correctly before I sell her. Just bought a 98 Dodge 3500 dually with a Cummins.

It's gotta be a diesel for me.;Sweet
Dave

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
Dave, I live in Newton Falls. If you need any help just get ahold of me on AIM. I can shoot out and see if I can figure it out with you.

Chris

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
it could be your lift pump not suppling enough fuel to your ip .seen that happen alot ,they are dirt cheap too

davE350

Reaction score
CSARebel916,

For some reason my AIM is not supported by my Embarq Firefox. So I did send you a PM with my contacts. It would be great to have an oilburner diagnosis session. She warm starts great, nice idle, & around town no issues. Only when I'm towing at highway speeds, I get that uneasy feeling that I'm not going to make it home.

Thanks,
Dave;Sweet

suv7734

Reaction score
it could be your lift pump not suppling enough fuel to your ip .seen that happen alot ,they are dirt cheap too

Also check the rubber hose that goes from the hardline on the frame to the lift pump. If it is soft or kinked at all it will cause the engine to starve for fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online