2009 Jetta TDI

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This forum doesn't see much traffic, but I thought that some people might be interested in seeing this.

I was in between runs at work yesterday, and decided to stop at a Volkswagen dealer to look at and test drive a new TDI. I think someone attached a JATO bottle to the back of the car :D quite simply, the car flies...I think it would outrun many GAS engines in its class. I test-drove an '03 TDI when they were new, and that car would run circles around my M-B...and, the '09 will run circles around the '03! :shocked:

I'm sold...I just need to gather the $$ together (hopefully I'll be ready next year)...

Attachments

• 0713082010.jpg
    0713082010.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 15
  • 0713082010a.jpg
    0713082010a.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0713082010b.jpg
    0713082010b.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 0713082011.jpg
    0713082011.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 0713082011a.jpg
    0713082011a.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0713081956.jpg
    0713081956.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 22

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, the new TDI's sound great. They are rated for 140hp and 235ft lbs of torque if I remember right. Sounds like they are feeling the fuel economy hit with all the emmisions B.S. with around 40mpg on the high end of what they will do. My parents had an 03 Jetta TDI with the 5 speed, when I used to drive it (waiting for my truck to get painted), I hated it. Looking back now, man I wish we kept that thing, because truthfully it was kinda a fast little car.

CHPMustang

OilBurners Staff
Reaction score
Apparently the VW dealers received one of these Demo Clean Diesels.

I need to get by my dealer to get the full deal on it,the wife and I are looking towards purchasing a 09 Sport Wagon TDI.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are feeling the fuel economy hit with all the emmisions B.S. with around 40mpg on the high end of what they will do.
Actually, if I'm understanding it correctly, the fuel economy numbers are debatable. Apparently, the EPA changed their testing method, and the new method has lowered their estimated fuel economy across the board (even for vehicles that weren't mechanically changed at all). Also, the EPA apparently added an 18% correction to diesels that they didn't need, so the "rated" fuel mileage for diesels is lower than what they actually found in the tests.

Take a look at this thread and this thread for more of that debate... :) BTW, the third-party estimates are 38/44...which is actually slightly better than the last generation TDI...

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 09 TDI is simply great. I test drove the promo cars! I pre ordered a Jetta sport wagan TDI. My dad has an 06 TDI and he loves it to. VW simply the best.

jw2644

Reaction score
We own a 2000 tdi and love it 240,000+k on it and it runs like a top. We get about 60mpg when it was stock. Installed a BULLYDOG RAPIDPOWER and what a difference in performance and mileage. Now getting over 65mpg

CHPMustang

OilBurners Staff
Reaction score
The 09 TDI is simply great. I test drove the promo cars! I pre ordered a Jetta sport wagan TDI. My dad has an 06 TDI and he loves it to. VW simply the best.

Congrats!Give me some details about the sport wagon you ordered.;Sweet

We're definitely choosing the silver paint to match the Excursion:D

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the manual, navigation. That is the only option we had. Loyalty plan.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I agreed on the silver paint and manual but she wants the huge **** sunroof:D
Have you seen a car with the sunroof yet?

I haven't seen one myself, but I've read on the TDIClub that, even with the "shade" in place, the sunroof turns the car into a greenhouse. Apparently, the shade is very flimsy and doesn't do much of anything to block out the sun rays. That's enough for me to go out of my way not to get a sunroof...which is too bad; from the pictures I've seen, it looks VERY cool...

Personally, I think the car looks really good in black, but I'm worried about the black outside color making the interior too hot...so I'll probably go with silver...trying to keep the interior as cool as possible; I don't handle heat very well ;)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My jetta now is black and it is not much hotter than my wifes red S4...
Hmm, interesting...I need to try and find out more about how much of a difference color makes...

BTW, if anyone's interested, I took some pictures of a Golf Variant (the European name for the Jetta Sportwagen) about a month ago. This car actually has the earlier 1.9l TDI, but I thought it was still cool to see (didn't get to drive it, though). The first 5 pictures are actually of a different car, sitting in the dealer lot...this "only" had a 5 speed, and I think it was a recent used model.

http://www.dieselwarden.net/vw/pictures/golfvariant/

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we always dont get the whole V-dub family here in the states!
I drive a POLO usually when im in mexico

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we always dont get the whole V-dub family here in the states!
I drive a POLO usually when im in mexico
I believe it! Actually, a 4-door Polo hatchback would be perfect for my needs (commuting and occasional light-cargo-hauling), but it'll be a long time before we see it here, sadly.

I spent about 1/3 of my time in Europe last month drooling over all of the car options that we don't see here...especially with diesels making up a good 50% of the cars on the road...