2004 fuel or injector problem.... or something else

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Hey guys... I am trying to help my step dad out... really it's my moms truck but the step dad is trying to figure out the problem... Its a 2004 2500 4x4 cummins... approx 100,000 miles

Anyways... she was having an issue several month ago where the truck would die and not restart for several hours... sometimes it wouldn't start at all in the mornings.... So they took it in to a shop and they replaced several injectors. I don't believe they did anything else, just the injectors. They said everything else looked good.

Anyways, it seemed to run alright after that but now they are having a new issue......

The truck has no power, and seems to surge while driving down the highway... My friend was with them on the last trip and said that it seemed like the motor was surging but the tach never moved. If you mash the pedal like when your going to pass it just falls on its face. It also is smoking really bad... they say it's black smoke. Which to me doesn't make alot of sense to me... usually black smoke is unburnt fuel...

Also something else to add... they weren't able to get it above 50mph when flooring it... if they let off the fuel pedal and just ease into it they can slowly build up speed and get up to 70... but when they come to a hill or try to haul with it it's almost impossible to build up speed.

I don't know Dodge or Cummins at all so I'm hoping my brothers here at oilburners have an idea or know of a solution. Please help guys... the last time they took it to a shop it cost them $3700 to replace 3 injectors... I think they got hosed but I once again don't know about these trucks.

Thanks in Advance

CUMMINS05

Rumbling Diesel
Reaction score
Did they even try the lift pump? How about the Injector pump? You know who would be a wicked person to ask is moparmike91, he is a journeyman mechanic for Dodge.

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
The truck has no power, and seems to surge while driving down the highway... My friend was with them on the last trip and said that it seemed like the motor was surging but the tach never moved. If you mash the pedal like when your going to pass it just falls on its face. It also is smoking really bad... they say it's black smoke. Which to me doesn't make alot of sense to me... usually black smoke is unburnt fuel...

Also something else to add... they weren't able to get it above 50mph when flooring it... if they let off the fuel pedal and just ease into it they can slowly build up speed and get up to 70... but when they come to a hill or try to haul with it it's almost impossible to build up speed.

That sounds a lot like my GMC 6.0L gas job when the fuel pump checked out. I don't know about the black smoke, but everything else sounds like a lift pump or injection pump problem.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys...!! :thumbsup:

I don't know what I would do without this site...

I am relaying the information to the step dad to give him a place to start. I appreciate the help. Hopefully it gets their truck up and running.

Thanks again guys

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the FCA has gone south to me...a common issue.

You can get a new FCA from Cummins for under $100.

steved

Whit

Reaction score
Sounds like the truck has gone into the limp mode..................You need to check the codes and get back with us...........best off to take it to yer local auto parts store and they can read the codes for you via the data port under the steering column................if not you can do the key code for next best thing

turn key on
key off
key on
key off
key on and leave on.......read codes in odometer window and get back with us

My guess is yer lift pump went south and may have damaged the IP

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply... I was gone in Nevada at a race... We finally finished the Vegas to Reno.... 567 miles.... finished 34th overall out of 150 cars and trucks...

Anyways... my mom is up in Wyoming so I can't do any of the work and the step dad isn't that handy working on vehicles... I will let them know what you all have said...

I really appreciate the help and comments... I don't trust most shops... they turn a $100 problem into a $1000... funny how that works... Anyways I will let them know...

Thanks again!!

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think you will find it is the FCA...the cycling RPM and ;low power are pretty good clues.

The fuel control actuator dictates how much fuel the rail gets...and again, its a $100 part and about 5 minutes to change.

steved

Whit

Reaction score
where at in Wyo............thats where I live...let me know I have alot of friends around the state

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Whitmore...

I think she's just down the street from you... she's in Riverton... The truck is really having issues now... :backoff :mad:

I guess now when you go to turn it on it just clicks and the gauges jump back and forth... Right before this happened it when you pressed the remote button the horn would go off or something silly like that.... it's acting real strange now...

They are supposed to call me with more details so I can try and help... just hard to do from 900 miles away on a truck I have no idea about... (as stated before... I own a ford) :D

Whit

Reaction score
thats 26 miles from my house

I have a scanner and casn pull the codes if ya want me to............I have a few other tricks too

let me know......................I will have a day off thursday or I could run in tonight if she needs it real bad....I am home by 730pm

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Thanks very much!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am still trying to get ahold of them... My brother from Vegas is looking at some property over off 8-mile road.... so they are running all around doing stuff.. I know the rig is down now... can't get it started ... My buddy and step dad are running to Craig Colorado in the morning to get a new clutch in the Zeter so mom will be stuck at the house...

I will try them again and see if I can get more info ... Just got off the phone... she said to give her number... I will send it via PM... She's not home but the step dad is. At least this way you can get it straight from the horses mouth on what is the problem... I really appreciate you offering to help..

Whit

Reaction score
talked to her................I will go in thursday and see what I can do here.......sounds like a mess...........you didnt tell me about the jackknifing incodent :eek:

I know right where she lives

no worries man

Whit

Reaction score
it wasnt that big a deal really...............I tried to run the codes but the grid heaters were cyclin real bad and causing the signal to my OBDII to cut in and out so I disconnected the grid heater power (since I couldnt figger out which relay ) anyway then I was able to pull the codes and there was 4 of them all related to power disruptions PCM/ECM and at that point I was kinna worried bout the ECM being fried but I decided to jump the thing and get some power restored................all was fine what can I say...the test drive proved everything to be hunky and dorie.................it had a brain fart I guess

lemme know ifin any of those other issues come back..........after the drive the scanner said everything was still goood.......no new codes

Cheers,Kevin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7