2001 Jetta TDI

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Can't argue with that ;Sweet what RPM's are you at in 6th at 70?

I'm at about 2400 RPM at 70. Not too bad, but a bit lower would mean better fuel economy (and also having to drop a gear at the first sign of a hill :D )...

I'm at 2,000RPM doing 70MPH.. I still have the power, to take most hills without downshifting. Might be the 11mm IP on my car... I get a huge boost of power, at 2,400RPM.. Most of the auto-to-6spd swappers report that boost of power, at that RPM..

One thought I just had... I wonder if your turbo vanes are starting to stick.. Do you ever run it hard enough, to get the EGT's hot enough to burn the soot out? Also... Have you done a Lubro-Moly diesel purge treatment lately?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thought I just had... I wonder if your turbo vanes are starting to stick.. Do you ever run it hard enough, to get the EGT's hot enough to burn the soot out? Also... Have you done a Lubro-Moly diesel purge treatment lately?
Re: the turbo vanes, I've been doing fairly regular Italian tune-ups and I've been careful to keep the RPM's above 2000 except for when the engine's cold, but the possibility exists that the vanes could be starting to stick. The previous owners really only drove the car around town (granted, "around town" was in San Francisco, but even still). I should point out that I have no complaints whatsoever about power :D just, I've read that the power band's between 1900 RPM and 3000 RPM, so I keep her above 2000 RPM just because I'm worried about the turbo vanes and don't want to risk lugging her. But, have to keep all possibilities in mind, eh?

Re: Diesel Purge, I haven't done a treatment yet, and I probably should. For that matter, she's probably due for a fuel filter, also...

Thanks for the feedback on the 6 speed ;Sweet I don't think I'm in any particular hurry to do it, but if my 5 speed goes, why replace when you can upgrade? :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USPS and FedEx have been busy :D ...just got a replacement CD changer that will go into the factory radio and can play mp3 CD's
Just thought I'd update...the replacement CD changer committed suicide over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was too busy to look at it before New Year's, but it's dead as a Chevy. I have to say that I'm very disappointed with oemautosound.com ...I wasn't sure if it was still under warranty or not, so I called them, and the guy tried to give me the runaround...telling me that the problem was something that I had caused and gave me a procedure to correct it, and wouldn't listen to me when I told him that I had already followed that procedure numerous times cookoo and what a shock, they won't even answer calls from me now. I would recommend against doing business with them.

I ended up getting an adapter box to plug a 1/8" jack in, and bought an mp3 player and I'm good to go again in the audio department ;Sweet

Also, took this picture back in December, but since I had some time to burn today, I thought I'd post it ;Sweet again, the car's doing absolutely wonderfully!! Finally got the car and the truck together for a photo :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7