2 Piece DriveLine Question

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of my 10.25 Sterling swap - taking out my 86 4.10 open and installing a 94 3.55 Trac Loc. Old diff. is all out and I need to change my rear U-joint and I should be ready to go back together. The rear driveshaft has me a little stumped. Never done a lot with 2 piece shafts before. I should be able to seperate the rear driveshaft aft of the carrier bearing, looks like male splines out of the carrier to female on the rear driveshaft. It has what looks like a gland collar and a grease zerk at the union, do I need to undo or loosen the collar or does the rear shaft come apart aft of the carrier. I worked it pretty good and I can get the 2 pieces to seperate about 4 inches or so then it seems to stop. Not sure if it's the collar or I just need more muscle on it. :dunno

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Muscle it, mine was a pain in the butt. I spun the collar thinking for sure it came apart but it did no good. Ended up pulling the whole shaft together, putting half in a bench vise and tugging it apart.

Why are you trying to separate it if you're just changing out the u-joint? Why not unbolt the carrier bearing and pull the whole shooting match so you can work on it?

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Muscle it, mine was a pain in the butt. I spun the collar thinking for sure it came apart but it did no good. Ended up pulling the whole shaft together, putting half in a bench vise and tugging it apart.

Why are you trying to separate it if you're just changing out the u-joint? Why not unbolt the carrier bearing and pull the whole shooting match so you can work on it?

That is kind of what I remembered, I was thinking that the collar didn't do anything. If that's the case I'll remove the whole thing and just change the rear U-joint, it's only 2 sides to take out, Leave the whole thing together .. I'll clear off 20 feet of workbench and I should be fine.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just hoping to seperate it under the truck, take the back half to the bench and not have to pull the carrier and remove from trans..ect ect. I wonder if I could use a big enough C-clamp and just change it on the shop floor without even taking it out of the truck.....hmmm. I would probably hate myself for trying that.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Two bolts and a jackstand and you'll have it on the floor in no time. Save yourself the headache. Btw should of had you buy a second U-Joint...that 4.10 rearend is going to need it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online