$2,000 for a transmission rebuild?

Chappy

Reaction score
I have a 1990 F250 7.3 IDI 4x4 with 85,000 original miles with automatic w/overdrive, don't want to sell it but the tranny is going. My transfer case went out 3 months ago, had it replaced, and that is when I started to hear a vibration whenever I was lugging or going up hills and it has steadily gotten worse. Thought it was the driveshaft so I had it balanced and new u-joints installed. No luck, took it in to the transmisssion shop (which has done work for me before and are fair to work with) and they are pretty confident the "lock out" is going out. I was quoted $2,000 to get it rebuilt. Any other options, if not I'm going to have to sell it ...

Thanks guys

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By chance did someone sell you a "trans flush"? That will kill a good higher mileage trans in many cases, if not get it serviced, NOT FLUSHED and try that.

OR

Fix the trans and keep it, 2k is a good price if they are doing some upgrades. If you sell it another truck will cost you the same in the long run.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's always the option of slapping another used one in there:
http://www.car-part.com/
( A.T., 4x4, E4OD, 8-445 (7.3L, diesel) )

what makes them think its just not the torque converter failing?

im curious;
what has the maintenance history been on the trans?
hows it been used,maintained and monitored?

Chappy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, you're probably right, I mean shoot I replaced everything else. After this I'll have a brand new truck!

Chappy

Reaction score
The original owner used it to tow his fifth wheel around. Gave it to his grandson who rebuilt the transmission but supposedly never drove it. I bought it from him assuming the transmission had been rebuilt fairly recent.

The fluid stays nice and clean and I had it serviced 3,000 miles ago, and have never had a problem with it until now.

The truck sounds like you are driving over rumble strips when you go up hill. But when you are on flat ground slowly accelerating, or holding a constant speed it runs fine. Hard vibration occurs when going up hill, or under medium acceleration (enough to drop it down a gear)

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
slap another converter in there right now,and i bet she goes just fine.:)

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better to spend 2K now and not more later by driving it and making it worse. What you have is an E4OD and when they are saying the lockout is going they are talking the torque converter. Keep driving it like that and your talking more money. If your going to get it rebuilt ask them how many miles and months is the warranty for. If it is 12 month/12,000 miles then look elsewhere also make sure they pull the codes. Jasper warranty's their transmissions for 3 years 75,000 miles and are in the 2K ballpark. I'm assuming it has the original transmission and the ones that Ford made back then were junk. Your better off rebuilding and having all necessary upgrades done.

If you were to sell it as is how much do you think you could get for it with a bad trans. I just looked at KBB and the private party value is slightly above 2K so either part it out and you might get more or get it fixed. If you were to get it fixed at least you know what you have is going to be reliable.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Install a ZF. I had the SAME problem about 6 months ago.....maybe less than that, but the TC lockup went...just before Christmas now that I think about it.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bet ya anything when they rebuilt the trans they used the original converter.
take this how you will.but this exactly what i would do right now before driving it anymore.

1.new or rebuilt converter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320439238555&viewitem=#vi-content
2.external trans filter.
http://www.amazon.com/80277-Universal-Remote-Transmission-Filter/dp/B000CIKJMY
3.flush w/internal filter change.
(if you have an external cooler,id likely remove that,flush the crap out of it,and or just replace it.)
4.run it for a couple hundred miles.remove external filter,cut it open and examine it.install a new one.

id be so sure it would solve the issue,that id go ahead and upgrade to latter '95+ high volume pump as well.
just a suggestion.its what id do.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I agree with Compu Doc. Either spend 2k now and have it rebuilt or spend 500-1000for a torque converter and have the trans fail 6 months down the road then have a 2k bill anyway. Not too hard of a decision.

Just make sure about the warranty and that it will get the upgrades

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online