1999 F350 7.3 power stroke wont run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladman

Ladman
Reaction score
i just purchased a 1999 Ford F350 crew cab long bed dulley with the 7.3 power stroke engine. the engine has 165k on it. i have been driveing it for a week now with no problems what so ever. I started it up the other day when i was leaving my parnets house and it ran for about 5 minutes then all of a sudden shut off. This supprised me very much, since the only reason a diesel would shut off is due to no fuel, or the cps craps out. i replaced the cps and checked the the fuel filter, checked all fuses, the inershia switch, and blead the fuel lines to make sure no water was in the fuel. after all of this, the truck still wont run, it tries to turn over but wont run. for some reason in between the fuel filter and the IP, it is not geting the fuel. what could the problem be?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
you checked the fuses....double check #30...it controls the IDM and fuel heater.....

If that checks out, is there any smoke/fuel smell out the exh?...if not your IPR is prolly bad.

Ladman

Ladman
Reaction score
i just checked all the fuses incuding the #30 under the hood, and they are all good. i also thought it might be the IPR. is there any tests i can do before i just replace it? i hear it cost $600 for one.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
#30 is in the fuse panel under the dash. i just had this problem it was a bad fuel heater that blew the fuse. 30 A fuse.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
#30 is in the fuse panel under the dash. i just had this problem it was a bad fuel heater that blew the fuse. 30 A fuse.

Yeappers!...disconnect the fuel heater "before" replacing the fuse...like Rob mentioned--"under the dash"

i hear it cost $600 for one.
Was that installed, along with a full tank of fuel , and a wax job for both the truck AND driver :D

Ladman

Ladman
Reaction score
i ran a test on all the fuses and they are all good. even the ones under the dash. there is no smoke coming from the tail pipe and the exhaust dosent smell like diesel. im going to try to run a computer tester on it and see if it gives me any codes. i dont have a check engine light on or anything though, but its worth a shot. if any one has any more ideas please let me know, im racking my brain here trying to figure this out!

tractorman86

Reaction score
have you ever seen the CEL turn on? maybe it is trying to turn on but has burnt out bulb. unhook the intake heater on the intake Ypipe and try a small sniff of either(sp)

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
have you ever seen the CEL turn on? maybe it is trying to turn on but has burnt out bulb. unhook the intake heater on the intake Ypipe and try a small sniff of either(sp)

ETHER = BAD IDEA! the gp's will still cycle!

If you must use a squirt of something...use WD40 or silicone spray!

No smoke or fuel smell from exh...... Check the IPR as you have replaced the CPS.......

Ladman

Ladman
Reaction score
ETHER = BAD IDEA! the gp's will still cycle!

If you must use a squirt of something...use WD40 or silicone spray!

I have swapped out all the relays with another truck of the same that my father has, and they all work. i did however, even though it was very risky used ether in it to see if it would run. It did want to run, but did not have the fuel to support it. Everything from the fuel tank to the fuel filter is working. I have come to think that it is either the HPOP or the injectors them selfes. my question is, which one of these would be the first to typically let go? If i am not right about this, what else could it be?-cuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online