1999 Dodge Ram Cummins won't start

egpeil

Reaction score
I drove my truck last night without problem, parked it in the drive way and this morning it won't start. It turns over fine just won't come to life. I am new to diesels only owning this truck for about a month and a half. What could be the problem?
Help, Eric.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Check your batteries, I've had mine spin & sound fast enough to start it, but a new battery (one) fixed it. This was on a PSD F250 but may be whats wrong.

Batman

Reaction score
This may sound dumb, are you sure you have fuel? Have you nticed your fuel gauge not working properly?

There seems to be a lot of fuel floats going bad lately. Mine would not read well below 1/2 tank.

Just an idea.

egpeil

Reaction score
Still have problems

Yes it does have tilt steering. I just put $50 worth the day before and only drove 100 miles after that. I turns over on the starter as normal, just won't fire up - not even a little.
Rgds, Eric

egpeil

Reaction score
Everything works except the overhead dome lights. Previous owner tapped in a back-up indicator but they are all disconnected.
Rgds, Eric

JMeier

Reaction score
2001 same problem

Mine did the same thing. I bled the fuel system at the injector pump and she fired right up. I had installed a low fuel pressure sensor a couple of days before and had to bleed out the air, but this was several days later after the truck had been starting fine.

2001 Ram 3500 24v 5 speed, bone stock no upgrades

Whit

Reaction score
well for some reason it sounds like yer not gettin fuel...............bump the stsarter for just a second.this will tell the fuel lift pump to run for like 30 seconds or so......shut key off and bbump starter again....lift pump will run some more.now shut key off then try to start all over again with throttle floored

if this dont work then get a 19mm wrench and crack injector lines 1,3,4 then bump starter to prime air out of fuel lines...tighten up lines and start

if you cant get fuel to mave then you prolly have a lift pump out.........very very common

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
best hope it's only the lift pump that went out and not the injection pump.
new lift pump $ 135.00 & 25 - 30 min. to replace
new injection pump $ 1350.00 rebult and alot longer to replace