1996 F350 5 speed losing power on hills

Hollsc

Reaction score
I just had my 96 F350 in for service because it would not start in weather even as warm as 50 degrees unless it was plugged in but oterwise it ran very well. Ended up replacing all the glows plugs and they also replaced the internal glow plug harness made a wiring harness repair and replaced a diesel valve cover gasket connector. So picked up the truck starts great now. Problem is it has seemed to have lost significant power. I could barely make it do 70 MPH on a relatively flat long road and even on some of the slightest hills in 5th gear it would drop for 70 to 60 in no time and pedal to the floor it didn't excelerate at all. Going up thru th gears to about 40 MPH it runs pretty normal but in 4th and 5th it has no power almost felt lik I was pulling a fully loaded trailer. Any ideas ha could be the problem and is this related to the work I had done. Should I take it back to them and ask them to look at it? Seems awful funny this problem didn't exist before the work I had done. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scott

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A fuel pressure test would be good.
Cleaning the fpr would be good.
Changing the fuel filter would be good.
Changing the oil could be good.
Air filter.
Fuel additive.....
The list goes on and on....

Hollsc

Reaction score
Did they forget to hook up the map sensor?

I will find out today I dropped the truck off last night where I took it and they do work on these trucks quite regularly so we shall see. I just changed the oil and replaced the fuel filter and air filter about 6,000 miles ago so I wouldn't think it would be that. I will ask about the map sensor though. Thanks

Hollsc

Reaction score
Got the truck back last night and sure enough they forgot to hook the map sensor back up so once they did that all is back to normal. Thanks idipwr for the suggestion to check that because that was all it was