**1996 f250 7.3 & 1994 7.3idi turbo questions**

boliIDI1010

Reaction score
Hi
I am looking at buying my 1st diesel truck. I have always had gas trucks. I am looking at a 1996 f250 extended cab 4x4 with the 7.3 and a nice plow. The guy is selling for $4000. Has 265k miles and is in nice condition. He says the injectors were replaced last year. Any input from you guys would be great. Should I be scared of 265k miles??

My other option is a 1994 F350 4x4 with a idi turbo 240k miles and zf 5speed trans for $4500 with a plow.

Please post your feedback oon both trucks. I sure would appreciate the help.
thanks

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 96 will probably be a powerstroke which is a good motor, but they are sensitive to maintenance. Parts for these trucks are quite expensive.

The 94 is about the last of the IDI motors with what is probably a factory turbo. The IDI's use a mechanical injection system which has proven very reliable over the years. Parts are usually less expensive for the IDI motors however there is a notable power difference between the IDI and the powerstroke.

Both motors are known to reach high mileage if maintained and both are good workhorses.

The ZF 5 speed transmission is a nice combination with the IDI motor.

You mention a plow so I suspect this will be a winter plowing truck which both trucks will do easily. If it was my choice I would look at which truck was better maintained and go with that one.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I have both engines, and I would take the Powerstroke over the IDI hands down.
Those miles are not a problem for either engine. The transmissions are what you need to look closely at.

boliIDI1010

Reaction score
Yeah
I am sort of leaning towards the 1994 idi turbo as it is lower in maintenance cost, has a cleaner body than the 96 and it has the zf trans. i appreciate all you input. any more suggestions appreciated.
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online