1995 or 1999

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase one of two trucks.. the first is a 1995 f250 2 wheel drive extended can was e40d but has been converted to zf5 swap looks like a really good job. 200,000 miles 2nd owners never had a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

Secound is a 1999 f350 single can srw... 230,000 miles 4x4 with a auto trans. Trans was rebuilt by previous owner but no paperwork. Was a repo type tow truck then it was painted and sold I belive the 3rd owner has it now. It has a 70hp superchip and a gooseneck.

Which truck would be the better truck.. it will. Be a daily driver and tow a 4 horse gooseneck and the occasional flatbed. Are the 1999 autos any decent?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't value the 4wd, I'd definitely go with the older 2wd F250. ZFs are pretty bullet proof (especially after a solid flywheel and kevlar input bushing), better on fuel and if push comes to shove you can pull the trans and put a clutch in it in your driveway. I'm not a fan of high mileage automatics, and when you bolt one to a 4WD transfer case, yarding it out of there in your driveway is a completely different animal. Also keep in mind that parts are way cheap and plentiful on the OBS truck. Keep in mind: how many OBS fenders and doors are there out there between 1992-1997 F150/250/350s? How about the old style 8 lug wheels versus the new metric bolt pattern(s)?

At the same price, I think it a no brainer, but you know what they say about opinions...............:D

Good luck whichever way you go ;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's the 4r100 (I think that's right) it's a good one. But something to consider, it was definitely being worked HARD as a tow truck, plus the chip.

Personally I like the old body style.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Last question: do you care about fuel mileage?

Do you really think the mileages will be that much different?

In theory the newer truck would get a better mileage with a tune.
But I've also heard the single shot injectors provide the best mileage.

It would be good to know if the 95 is a CA truck, and also if the 99 is a early or late model.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really think the mileages will be that much different?QUOTE]

Yep, spinning a transfer case is never beneficial for mileage. Totally agree with you on the CA version question, as well as the single shot injectors.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I know the transfer case will take away some, but would it even be noticeable?
I would think the extra weight of the solid front axle, transfer case, front driveshaft, and extra wheels/tires is what would make the notable difference.
With all that, versus a 350 srw 2wd, maybe 1k - 1.5k lb difference at most?

My 94 is a cab and chassis, weighs a metric ****-ton and by comparison to my 88, gets better highway mileage, but the 88 gets better city.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Early or late 99? Where's the powerstroke emblem(fender or door)? If it's an early 99, pass on it and buy the 95. The early 99's are kind of a ******* child in the front axle assembly(hubs and brakes)

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pics because the 1999 owner was kinda a **** on the phone when I started asking questions and the 1995 was rusted in the fenders and needed a lot of attention here and there. I found a 1994 I am going to look at today