1995 5.8L oil pressure sending unit

sign_man

Reaction score
I just bought an beater F250 XLT that I couldn't pass up for $200. The thing has 263,000 on what appears to be the original engine and E4OD tranny and still runs pretty well except for the lifters rattling excessively. The oil pressure gauge doesn't even wiggle, so I pulled the wire and grounded it out using my test light which resulted in the needle just inside the normal range. I finally grounded it without running through the test light bulb and it came to half the scale. All my old vehicles from the '60's and '70's would peg the needle during this test. Do I have a bad gauge and sending unit?

I'll change the oil soon and add a bottle of Lucas and try a manual gauge while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance,

Phillip

madken

Reaction score
the gauge when working normal will only read mid-range .this type gauge will read (0) when undr 7psi. and mid range when above . by the lifter rattle you need to manually ck oil pressure .It will be low

sassyrel

Reaction score
I just bought an beater F250 XLT that I couldn't pass up for $200. The thing has 263,000 on what appears to be the original engine and E4OD tranny and still runs pretty well except for the lifters rattling excessively. The oil pressure gauge doesn't even wiggle, so I pulled the wire and grounded it out using my test light which resulted in the needle just inside the normal range. I finally grounded it without running through the test light bulb and it came to half the scale. All my old vehicles from the '60's and '70's would peg the needle during this test. Do I have a bad gauge and sending unit?

I'll change the oil soon and add a bottle of Lucas and try a manual gauge while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance,

Phillip
most likely----the rod and main bearings are wore---if you feel fiesty--jack the engine,pull the pan, and spin in new rod and main bearings.... the pressure will be back up, and the lifters should be quiet..low oil pressure means noisy lifters--

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin