1992 f250 7.3 dana 50 TTB rebuild

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I have posted anything. Mostly because I have not had to fix anything :). The ball joints were making terrible popping noise and steering was sloppy. I previously did the pivot bushing, leaf bushings and the hubs outward (bearings, seals, etc) in my first round of upgrades. I actually had an f350 D60 in my possession for $250 but I figured the current setup worked for 220k miles it will be good enough and I have a project truck that I can worry about custom installs. I was not ready to get invested and have to start messing with cutting driveshaft’s or whatever plus the rebuild costs on top. Some may argue that route, please don’t post and clutter. This is to hopefully get facts and pictures for someone doing this as well.

Truck: 1992 ford f250 custom supercab 4x4 7.3 IDI. Dana 50 TTB. Plate says 4200# front axles.

First is the BOM I used for the bearing and bushing rebuild if anyone needs it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Second here is the BOM that I used for the ball joints and all u joint replacement and the gaskets in between:

First step is to remove the hub. Mine has manual lockers and then a spindle nut-washer-nut setup. Some manuals said that there is tabs to be bent, mine just has a dowel pin in the second nut which locks the the middle washer holes.

Then removed the 5 bolts holding the spindle. These are not torqued very hard and should be easy to come off. Then you have to gently hit (I used wood buffer) the spindle to break it free from the corrosion on inside you will see.

Drivers side:
You can now slide the spindle and then the entire axle out and set aside.

Remove the ball joint nuts. I ended up using a 1-1/8 12 point because it fit both top and bottom nuts. A 6 point only fit one, even the new nuts. Use a pickle fork or just beat the crap out of it until the knuckle pops out.

may require heat

passenger side spun so I had to cut it off

Push the ball joints toward the top of the knuckle with a press or u joint/ball joint tool. Only the bottom ball has a locking snap ring. Then press new ones back in the same way making sure to push on the housing only. I have the rented kit from advanced that has various sizes.

Change the u joints as needed. I used a MOOG 231 from advanced for the single drivers side.

Passenger side:
Little trickier but most still applies. Once the spindle is removed the center boot straps need to be cut so you can slide out the axle like you did on the drivers side. There is a yoke that is in the differential that is retained by a c clip and will not come out (unless you want way more work)

The rental press will fit into the axle and the middle u joint can be pressed out pretty easy while still in the truck. It only works in one position.

Press the u joints out and replace them. I dremeled out the snap ring grooves and it helped a lot compared to the driver’s side. Press your new ujoints in and then you can slide the outer axle back in once all u joints are replaced. The middle u joint used was greasable and it part number 5-178x. I had to get it at napa for a little more because I was in a rush and others were closed. It was approximately $20 but was greasable. This chart helped me verify I was ok with this one. Dimensions were 3.625 and 1.18” for the 1350 series.
http://www2.dana.com/Expert/wc.dll?hvtss~dedsec~2~13~06~

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once the u joints were replaced, slid the axles into the slip joint. Then install kit SBk-3. This is the spindle bearing repair kit and gaskets for both sides.
I used my bearing puller which can be rented to get it started then finished it with a pry bar from the top to punch it out. I used the old bearing and wood to press the new one in.
The large gaskets has the angled side facing the spindle, the smaller seal has a U cut into it and it faced away from the spindle.

showing spindle gasket orientation

Should be able to reassemble from this point. The hardest part was the middle u joints and the spindle rebuild.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought there would be more questions on this. hmm. oh well. most of you guys prob have solid axles by now :)

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up. I don't plan on putting a 60 under mine unless it grows 2 more doors so this is good info

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the same to mine a few years back when I added 4 inches to the height. The D50 works good for what I do and it sure worked better after the refresh. The big plus that might get me to a D60 eventually is the alignment. Seems like it just doesn't want to stay aligned very long. I just spent 4 hours with a buddy getting it aligned better that it ever has and we shall see.

Good write up.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good pics n descriptions....nicely done.

Now tear it all out n install a real axle:rotflmao

Hardy har har lol Funny thing is I actually had a D60 in my garage with the cardan joint, leaf springs, and everything needed for a conversion. paid 200 for it. But I sold in since it needed new gears and a rebuild. Could I have done it, sure but I rebuilt the D50 for less and faster and It will outlast my attention span haha. I needed it to just work and I dont trust myself when I have a project truck already.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so....how;s about pivot bushes ?
my "next on the list" pivot bushes/alignment

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point, I did not get pictures of that since I did it before the rest. Overall it wasn't terrible I guess. The center pivots I forget how but I ended up loosening them both and dropping one slowly with a jack while still attached to the leaves. Lower just enough to get it below the cross brace and drill it out. I may suggest poly as the rubber i used seemed like there was too much weight and pulled it off center from the start so it will probably wear fast again.

Next was the leaf bushings. The parts listed worked ok but they were a ******. Everything had side load on it I think because they are old, shot, and are obviously on a arc movement from the arm. One thing I did not mention was the shackle pivot bushing. I would get this as it will make things a little easier and you are one bolt away. mine were toast. The bushing sleeves ended up being easier to sawzall as much of the sheet metal as I could and then punch/fold it out.

part here : https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/PCQHB349/

Item: Leaf Spring Shackle Bushing - Front Susp
Product Number: MRC HB349
Quantity: 2
Price: $12.69
Core Price: $0.00
Item Total: $25.38

or just buy a new shackle kit with all bushings :)

get ready to use your pry bar, drill and chisel.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously just buy new shackles, the effort aint worth the cost savings.... the full spring kit I bought was easy, altho the bushing sucked *** but the company was solid.
I would go urethane if ever doing it again as the rubber is already deflecting 50%

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seriously just buy new shackles, the effort aint worth the cost savings.... the full spring kit I bought was easy, altho the bushing sucked *** but the company was solid.
I would go urethane if ever doing it again as the rubber is already deflecting 50%

^^this!

I will say i have an alignment that drives straight in michigan for about 8 months now. But when I brake hard it dives right. I think thats more brake issues. and the camber looks great still

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online