1992 7.3IDI Questions

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1992 crew cab f350 with the 7.3IDI and the ZF 5 speed. This is my first diesel truck, and I have to say that I love it. She's got 206,000 miles on it and runs great. I bought her from the original owner to boot for $5,000. The entire fuel system was replaced at 150,000 miles. Is there anything that I need to know about to keep her going for another 200,000 miles. I am about to move from NC to CA thanks to the Marine Corps. Anything, other than the typical stuff for any truck for a trip towing that far I need to do. I'll be towing my wifes Yukon on my 23 ft triple axle trailer. Thanks.

Deese. S.R. SSgt
Airframes NCOIC
USMC

sassyrel

Reaction score
ya--get back to the original owner--and ask him if he ever used sca additive in it--if not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get some in there right now--as cavitation may happen at any sec---and the addition of it may not stop it if its advanced enough----i bought mine with 132,000 on it--added immediately--have had no problems--dont want any either--

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do I get the SCA Addidtive? I am not sure if he used it or not but he kept everything serviced using the Ford manual so most likely he did.

Deese S.R SSgt
Airframes NCOIC
USMC

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can get it either at the ford stealership or at IH dealer.(fleeguard brand name)

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the test strips from NAPA, and check the ph levels in the cooling system. Add SCA's as required.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ten HUT! Staff Sgt. Deese, report to the FAQ at once! Welcome, and THANK YOU for your service to our country.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I just hope I don't offend the guy with my lack of knowledge about the military.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Welcome! That truck sounds a lot like mine. As you find problems if get out infront of them and stay ahead of them, you'll really enjoy your truck. Congrats!

ramon f350

Reaction score
these trucks just need to be used and if you take care of them that will last you forever. mine has 200k on it right now and onece i get this squeal found and takien care of I wouldnt be afraid to get in it and drive anywhere. the beast is an awesome truck and I couldnt be happier with it. just wish it was 4wd sometimes

Ramon

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DeeseSR said:
but he kept everything serviced using the Ford manual so most likely he did.

Deese S.R SSgt
Airframes NCOIC
USMC

The Ford manual in 1992 said NOTHING :Sly :mad: :confused: about SCA's. I had about 80,000 on mine before I knew about it. I get my stuff from the local International dealer, they have reasonable prices and knowledgeable people when it comes to diesel's.

DeeseSR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the information on this site. And I have a tough hide so even if every one boogers up all the military lingo and info it won't bug me. I forgot to post that mine is a 4x4. I've been working on it slowly and steadily getting all the small suff fixed. My next project is getting the cruise control working. Thanks again.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
$5 K for a F350 CC 4x4, Sounds like you got a great deal! I am kinda partial to them myself.

Welcome to the site! and as Mel said, thank you for your service to our country.

Darrin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online