1991 f-super duty 7.3 idi n/a

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the #1 improvement you can do is find a turbo kit to drop on it. 70+% power increase easily; engine doesn't work nearly as hard, and EGTs stay lower under the same load.
6 years ago, I tried everything I could to get more power NA, and, well, it just isn't going to happen. Adding a turbo is the single best mod you can do to *any* IDI; it just plain improves it.

Now? Any truck I'm going to be using for more than a grocery-getter gets a turbo. I only have one truck that doesn't have one, and it'll get it as soon as I find one cheap.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes any of the stock level turbo kits are a good modification , having played with custom intakes and exhaust when I was na helped some but nothing compares to adding a turbo in gains and changes the whole driving expierince

JeremyIdi

Reaction score
I'll look in to finding one. I've been meaning to go parts picking for a while now, maybe I'll be able to find one. Thanks for the info. One question I do have about adding a turbo, is does it affect the longevity of the motor? Is it going to shorten the lifespan? I know the 7.3's can last a lifetime if taken care of and I try to do so. Again thanks for all the help and info!

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1994 IDIT is sitting at 390k miles, still plenty of power and it runs great. The turbo isn't going to ruin your engine, it will only wake it up unless you try and go crazy with the boost.

Beautiful truck you have!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool F450 Jeremy.When I first got mine,I thought,oh I'll just keep it N/A too.Until someone here posted up another banks turbo kit.Having already installed one on my F250,I knew what it would do and there was no way I could contain myself.:D
We have combined,millions of miles of issue free turbocharged IDI's engines.The 7.3L can take 10-13 lbs of boost without breaking a sweat.

Sounds like,you have yours setup pretty decent as N/A where it is,based on the probes location.You might find you'll need to turn the fuel down a half or full flat,once you hook up to something but I bet your not too far off.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look in to finding one. I've been meaning to go parts picking for a while now, maybe I'll be able to find one. Thanks for the info. One question I do have about adding a turbo, is does it affect the longevity of the motor? Is it going to shorten the lifespan? I know the 7.3's can last a lifetime if taken care of and I try to do so. Again thanks for all the help and info!
Oil changes and good coolant are the most important things. As long as you keep your EGTs sane(which is actually easier with a turbo due to more air available), they will last just fine.

JeremyIdi

Reaction score
I'll be looking into that air cleaner rust asap. Thanks for all the help and info everyone.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although the turbo is not on my truck yet, I'm sure that I'll be very satisfied with the results. I didn't buy a new kit, I wound up getting a used kit with an upgrade and rebuilt turbo from Russ, typ4 here on the forum. Doing it this way was a little less than double of what I'd have spent on a "good" used ats kit. I think that I have made the right decision. Except for a air filter element, Russ included all new nuts, bolts, seals and gaskets. Between the turbo kit, down pipe, 4" exhaust system, thermal wrap, boost and pyrometer gauges, I've probably got $2200-$2500 chunk sunk into it. I'm betting that the results will be well worth it. If you can swing it and you need the extra towing power it's money well spent.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although the turbo is not on my truck yet, I'm sure that I'll be very satisfied with the results. I didn't buy a new kit, I wound up getting a used kit with an upgrade and rebuilt turbo from Russ, typ4 here on the forum. Doing it this way was a little less than double of what I'd have spent on a "good" used ats kit. I think that I have made the right decision. Except for a air filter element, Russ included all new nuts, bolts, seals and gaskets. Between the turbo kit, down pipe, 4" exhaust system, thermal wrap, boost and pyrometer gauges, I've probably got $2200-$2500 chunk sunk into it. I'm betting that the results will be well worth it. If you can swing it and you need the extra towing power it's money well spent.
You'll be happy with the results from typ4's turbo! I'm running it now with basically the same set up you described it does very well

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Saburai, I'd say that you went the right way too. It may cost more now, but what if in a couple of months, the cheaper turbo started leaking oil, or even worse went out and send metal shavings through your engine? At least now you can be confident in your turbo.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saburai, I'd say that you went the right way too. It may cost more now, but what if in a couple of months, the cheaper turbo started leaking oil, or even worse went out and send metal shavings through your engine? At least now you can be confident in your turbo.

That's my thinking. Considering that within two weeks of finishing the turbo install I'll be towing a 30ft 9-10k # trailer, my home 1300 or so miles to our winter place in SW Florida I thought it prudent to eliminate as many of the unknowns as possible.

Sorry for the hijack...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726