1991 f-super duty 7.3 idi n/a

JeremyIdi

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or something, but I have a 91 f-super duty, weighs about 10k just the truck alone. I recently turned up my fuel about two flats, and put an egg gauge in it, I'm seeing temps of about 6-700 doing 65 on a flat, 8-1000 accelerating hard, and pulling a big hill, about 1100-1200. Is this ok or too much? I've read other threads but am still a bit confused. How could I lower my egts? Think a cold air intake or a bigger exhaust might help? I currently have the stock exhaust (2-1/2 I think) to 2 3 inch stacks. And I've heard that spectre (I think is the brand) makes an intake that will fit these. Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OBN Jeremy.

Is your truck turbocharged or N/A? Where is your probe for the EGT gauge located?
Edit; Oh you put N/A in the title.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on knowing where the probe location is at. *if* it is on the exhaust manifold or really close to the coupling on the pipe, there numbers you are seeing are OK. but don't let anyone else drive it.
above 1250 on the gauge for extneded periods of time will be fatal to your motor.

JeremyIdi

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Yes the probe is mounted on the manifold right above where it connects to the exhaust pipe. Thanks for the advice. Only other person that drives it is my dad and he's easy on it but I'll let him know to watch it, and I'll keep a close eye on it myself. I'm still looking in to a larger exhaust and different air intake, maybe it'll lower it a little? Thanks for the help!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spectre intake maybe, never use specter filters though!! They let so much dirt through its not even funny, they basically let everything through besides large gravel lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the truck?

Auto or std?

Turbo is better than wasting $pendy stuff on things like fancy intakes

A cowel intake is easy there are lots done

How many miles on it?

Thanks for dropping by

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keeping your stock air filter housing and intake tube, do the "soup bowl" delete. do a search for it here.
larger exhaust never hurt noone :D
I have a straight through 3 chambered muffler with a louvered core on my f450 and it's pretty free-flowing.

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did turning up the pump two flats make that much difference? If you want more headroom on the EGT, turn it back one flat. Turning up the fuel raises your EGT's. Like many things in life, it's a delicate balance of power versus melting the pistons, especially one without a turbo.

JeremyIdi

Reaction score
Answering a few questions here. Yes the Spectre intake is the one I was referring to. The purpose of the truck is daily driver/ hauling when it needs done. It's manual, 5 speed, around 138,000 miles. Thanks for the info on the intake mod and exhaust! I'm not sure how much my egts went up after turning it up, as I installed the gauge when I turned it up. If they get too high (so far it's going good) I will turn it back down. And yes the probe is mounted in the manifold, right above where it connects to the exhaust pipe. Will post pictures shortly. I've thought about turboing but it'll probably be on down the line if I do. I just want to keep my truck in good working order and for it to last. I love these old diesels and from my past experience with a 7.3 (2001 f250 power stroke) they're great trucks and will last a lifetime. Thanks for all the help and hope I've answered most of your questions!

JeremyIdi

Reaction score
139000* miles sorry. Here's a few pictures of the probe placement and the truck in general.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say you might want to check the cowl seal on your truck. The rust in the air cleaner lid speaks of water sitting in there at some point. If that is the case, you are a failed rubber washer around the air cleaner bolt, and a good rainstorm away from a hydrolocked engine. Someone with more experience on this should chime in.

Sweet truck by the way, and welcome to the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online