1990 Ford F350 no crank

gilend

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Ford F350 7.3 idi, I have replaced the batteries, within the last year, the starter was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt 4 four years go. I have replaced the glow plug relay recently. Thought I was done with issues, ran great for a few weeks, then last week went to start it and nothing. Thought it was the starter solenoid, so I replaced that last weekend on the passenger fender. Still nothing. Lights work, glow plug relay is clicking. I am not a mechanic, and I really don't want to take it into a shop. Everything I am reading says it is probably the starter but it was replaced within the last four years. I only drive this truck maybe 500 miles a year. Any ideas on where to start? I have owned this for 10 years, and have always kept it running in spite of my lack of mechanical knowledge, thanks to you guys on here and you tube.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the thread “92 F 350 starter problem”. It will tell you how to troubleshoot your problem.

Especially post #5

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have to add that the truck in your profile picture looks pretty good. I think that it's a shame that you only drive it 500 miles a year, high fuel prices aside.

gilend

Reaction score
Thank you

gnathv

I tried jumping the starter solenoid terminals and I got a spark but the starter did not turn. I think I need to climb under and see if the wiring is good at the starter.

Last edited:

gilend

Reaction score
@ IDIBronco, thank you, I want to drive it more, but I am still learning about trucks. It has always been hard to start, I thought it was just because it was diesel. Untill I finally replaced the glow plug relay, and then it was starting right up, then my batteries went bad. I replaced the batteries, and it was running great, best it had ever run. Now this. I work 60-70 hours a week, have a family, and we have other cars so it has not been a priority.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the troubleshooting... but don't be surprised if the starter is dead. Remans from the autoparts stores can be hit or miss.

They're spendy, but the Powermaster 9050 gear reduction starters have a good reputation. I've been pretty happy with mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online