1990 Fleetwood Flair IDI swap?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
For the blocks I have no idea, I just know they never came turbo from the factory.

I don't know why...but apparently that's what is it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you decide the flair is too much work you can just buy this,
http://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs/3972822199.html

The stack makes it for me.

The stack is more than likely from the Genset. Installed quite a few like that when I was in the Rv service business. Lot's of Rv'ers where overcome by CO from gensets running them while sleeping.

If smolkin is serious about getting an RV, He should take a good look at this one. Serviced a few Fleetwood Flairs, and to me they were nothing but junk, Fleetwood had really bad quality back then. Fact is they built a new building in Decatur IN just for warranty service, hired a 125 people for that. I knew the guy thst did all Fleetwoods warranty back then with only 5 guys.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
If smolkin is serious about getting an RV, He should take a good look at this one. Serviced a few Fleetwood Flairs, and to me they were nothing but junk, Fleetwood had really bad quality back then. Fact is they built a new building in Decatur IN just for warranty service, hired a 125 people for that. I knew the guy thst did all Fleetwoods warranty back then with only 5 guys.

Oldbull8, I am beginning to get a feel for the build "quality" (or lack thereof) of this particular Flair...I took another look today and found enough problems to keep all 125 of those guys busy!

The seller may be lying about the engine; I gave him until the end of the week to prove to me it moves under its own power or the deal's off (no money exchanged yet thank goodness). There's a few more places where the ext. sheathing is separating from the wall...is that spot-fixable without ripping it all off? And I have yet to see a single wiring diagram for any of the 12- or 110-V systems...in fact, I downloaded the owners manual, which basically says that no diagrams were available from Fleetwood so don't even ask! At least the 110V fusebox and circuits work OK off of pole power.

Were there other small (<30') Class A rv's built on a F or E chassis during that era?

I like the looks of the one Shadetreemechanic posted, but not the size. It's only my wife, my elderly dachshund, and me, and I only have 30' of driveway space for it.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't realize you were specifically looking for a class A. Born Frees don't come in class A's. The newer ones will come on an F450 or F550 front though.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a few class C's on CL here that are in my price range (cheap), but I like the mini-bus look. I may end up going class C if I can get a good deal.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a few more places where the ext. sheathing is separating from the wall...is that spot-fixable without ripping it all off? And I have yet to see a single wiring diagram for any of the 12- or 110-V

It's almost impossible to fix that spot that is delaminating, back in those days the glue/contact cement was not very good. The inside walls and outside was and still is all sandwich together, then put in a vacuum chamber to pull everything together.
You'll never find a circuit diagram, just a brief description of the 12VDC fuse panel and what the 120VAC circuit breakers control. Later years they did color code the 12VDC wiring and gave a description of what each wire went to.

To change the engine, you have to support the whole RV then drop the front axle, drop the engine out the bottom, one hell'va job to change it. Many a Fleetwood Southwind with the GM 454 CID was replaced that way. Cost was $8500 back then, at least I was told that by owners.

Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
A little update: I happened to find a pretty sweet deal on CL that I couldn't pass up, and I decided to table the motorhome idea for the moment. I will probably keep looking for a slide-in camper in the 8.5-10' size, since I have a vehicle now that should be able to carry it.

Oh yeah, about that:sly...

I went ahead and got this thing instead:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Never had a turbo before...let's hope I don't live to regret it...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online