1990 F350 CC SRW Frame off resto, Am I missing anything? Ideas?

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
Been awhile since any posts, Im real busy and am now starting back into my 1990 F350 4wd SRW CC project. Im after any ideas or recommends upgrades while this thing is completely apart. I have 5 parts trucks and another daily driver F350 cc srw 4wd, along with multiple engines and trannys
INFO: 1990 F350 4wd SRW CC 7.3na zf5 3.55 was a Logging crummie that was decent without any rust. Body was junk, Swapping a 1988 Body from a 2wd, 460 Auto thats low miles and NO rust or neglect, except paint is going south and dents on sides of bed.
Done so far:
all shock brackets/mounts cut off and new ones installed, rancho 5000's
rear leaf spring mounts checked for oblong holes, one replaced,
New leaf spring bushings on ALL corners Energy Suspension
Both fuel tanks cleaned out, new rubber pieces cut for the straps, pickup tube shower heads removed, and hose used
carrier bearing changed
rear leaf springs changed out for A code 1994 springs with two extra leafs added, all new center pins
new track bar bushings
add a leaf in the front springs
Kingpin rebuild kits already done to top ones on the D60
Rear end swapped for lower mileage one with all new brakes and drums, good seals, clean oil. (unfortunately NON Locking, all my 3.55 are open)
Lucky mod on flywheel with new clutch kit, slave and master, ZF5 shifted fine on drive home no grinding even though throwout bearing was gone
New 4" exhaust strait pipe
Dealers Diesel Reman 7.3 NA that was in truck, ran great!!! has BB codes, no leaks, Im putting on a 1994 ATS OEm 093 turbo with banks downpipe
Electric pump on frame rail with cover made
Draw tite gooseneck mount and bracket (havent quite figured out the 5th wheel mount bracket issue yet)
All Cleaned and painted with multiple coats, rust prevention techniques applied. (LOTS!!! of road salt used here)

ANY IDEAS????? before the body goes on, Anything I missed or forgot?

Thanks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the body is off, I recommend taking a hard look at your brake lines and fuel lines and replacing anything that looks questionable. If you are in a salt state, the brake line to the rear will eat up adn break eventually. If you can afford it, a prebent stainless kit is about $225. Otherwise that's a pretty straight run if the other lines are good, you can make it up out of straights with a tubing bender. Much easier to deal with with the cab off. Probably want to replace the cab mount bushings and give the underside of the cab a good going over and lots of paint before you put it back on. Much easier now.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALSO, before the body goes on, address the floor pan to firewall pinch weld.
the best thing to do is delete it completely.
but you can slice it and bend it down.
this makes the down pipe alot easier to install without it hitting and rattling.

you did miss the most important part of your post....PICTURES!!!

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, I already did the lines, and hoses. All new mounts, and had to do the pinch weld mod on my daily driver so knew about too. Again thanks and keep the ideas rolling!!!!!
I will be doing alot to the body when its ready to go on, LOTS and LOTS of paint on the underside to protect it, it is spotless not even dirt or oil, all kinda shiny with clean threads and no funky stuff. Beds dented on outside from camper jacks but thats for another day!!! (maybe dually, or custom flatbed)
Already sorted a perfect swing pedal assembly, with no wear or loose bushings and I have a few good 5 speed columns, and diesel dash parts too.

ANY input on frame reinforcement? I dont think its needed and am installing the huge gooseneck mount and plate already that bolts in.

Thanks again

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
ALSO, before the body goes on, address the floor pan to firewall pinch weld.
the best thing to do is delete it completely.
but you can slice it and bend it down.
this makes the down pipe alot easier to install without it hitting and rattling.

you did miss the most important part of your post....PICTURES!!!

Pictures of my mess,

You must be registered for see images attach

And the new body for it

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
How it all started out

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
imho leave the frame alone. if you stiffen one area, you may transfer stress to another.

My thoughts too!!!!! Thanks, this is the Kinda info I'm looking for

Any thoughts on my motor? It ran fine but is a Dealers Diesel Reman with unknown miles, thinking it is fully sleeved but??????? I have 6.9 engines but havent studded them yet so was thinking of running this 7.3 till she blows or makes me mad. This 7.3 started without glow plugs really easy, It had been that way for awhile, running without any controller. No smoke, and I pulled the valve cover and was surprised they used the 6.9L type non umbrella valve seals on the exhaust. ( which is great)
I'm not a 7.3 fan at all, I love my 6.9's but ??????

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 7.3 dealers diesel in my 89 crewcab and have had nothing but good luck with it. If it runs good I'd run it no concerns.

Sounds like a hell of a build. Love to see pictures. I also agree I wouldn't play with the frame. i'd leave it factory.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unlike other folks, i would do 1 mod, and 1 mod only to the frame.
that mod would be, mounts for a anti-axle wrap device.
these frames are great, minus the front shackle and bumper mount, but thats work-able
however, an anti axle wrap device, ive found is a must.
i have a 87 CC LB frame, and the wheel hop, IMO is garbage.
i will be building a wishbone design. with heim joints to keep the pinion angle the same under hard acceleration.
which keeps these long leaf springs from wraping causing said wheel hop.
i want to launch;Sweet

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
unlike other folks, i would do 1 mod, and 1 mod only to the frame.
that mod would be, mounts for a anti-axle wrap device.
these frames are great, minus the front shackle and bumper mount, but thats work-able
however, an anti axle wrap device, ive found is a must.
i have a 87 CC LB frame, and the wheel hop, IMO is garbage.
i will be building a wishbone design. with heim joints to keep the pinion angle the same under hard acceleration.
which keeps these long leaf springs from wraping causing said wheel hop.
i want to launch;Sweet

Funny thats brought up! The old ladies daily driver for over 4 years has been 5.0L AWD Explorers 1997-1999, Along with 5 others in my family, ALL have Ford 8.8 solid axles with leafs, and sideways mounted quad shock and traction bars facing forward, Always thought I should fab these up or figure out now to mount them!!!!! They work 100% and gotta be a reason Ford put them on!!!!! (all these explorers have 200,000 plus, with NO rear end issues)
Side note is I have Foxbody Mustangs that use Quad shock damping too

Food for thought!!!!! Might have to check this out, This build is about quality, and am in no hurry!

Again thanks!!!!!!

fordgirl4by4

Reaction score
Ok I see my pictures but No one else does? I'll try again, The mess!

The start

The new body, Its Dark blue NOT black

The daily F350

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7