1990 F350 4X4 steering box question

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought another truck last week.....
The person I bought it from replaced the steering box because the original was broken. (his words)
The box that's now on the truck is "backwards" - turn the wheel clockwise and the front wheels turn left, counterclockwise and wheels turn right. It was extremely challenging getting it on the trailer!
I have another box here to put on the truck so it's easier to move, but would like to know what's on it now.
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like the box on my 250, it's mounted to the right spot, and the pitman arm/drag link, etc. look normal.
The only thing I see that looks wrong is a few flat washers under the nut on the drag link end where it attaches to the pitman arm.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought another truck last week.....
The person I bought it from replaced the steering box because the original was broken. (his words)
The box that's now on the truck is "backwards" - turn the wheel clockwise and the front wheels turn left, counterclockwise and wheels turn right. It was extremely challenging getting it on the trailer!
I have another box here to put on the truck so it's easier to move, but would like to know what's on it now.
You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like the box on my 250, it's mounted to the right spot, and the pitman arm/drag link, etc. look normal.
The only thing I see that looks wrong is a few flat washers under the nut on the drag link end where it attaches to the pitman arm.

Wow I have no idea *** is going on but I'd say it's time to get another box A N D RIGHT NOW.

Not how this could happen actually. Makes NO sense.

Pictures of box would be good..and associated steering linkages etc.

Bout all I can think of is pitman arm on backwards if possible

JM2CW

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I thought I'd ask here.
The box looks like the other two I have and the pitman arm is pointing toward the front.
I honestly don't see anything different/wrong. :dunno

sassyrel

Reaction score
That's why I thought I'd ask here.
The box looks like the other two I have and the pitman arm is pointing toward the front.
I honestly don't see anything different/wrong. :dunno

its internal. he used the guts out of a older 2 wd box.. off of a car or pickup...

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully agree with it being internal.
The kid I got the truck from bought the steering box whole (used) and bolted it on the truck as-is. I know that doesn't mean that someone else didn't mess with it, but I thought maybe a van or bigger truck steering box could be configured this way - if they would even fit.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fullsize passenger car, Panther chassis (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) most likely. Turns in the wrong direction cause box is in front of steering linkages and so pitman arm points aft. Identical housing and biscuit coupler to our trucks and vans from what I've seen, so almost a bolt-on affair... Almost LOL

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fullsize passenger car, Panther chassis (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) most likely. Turns in the wrong direction cause box is in front of steering linkages and so pitman arm points aft. Identical housing and biscuit coupler to our trucks and vans from what I've seen, so almost a bolt-on affair... Almost LOL

Thank you. I figured it was a "store bought" box and now it makes sense why it's "backwards".

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score

That's awesome.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats fine to learn whats right. Now if you need to drive it at all you can use the bottom of the steering wheel and hold on to it. If you need to turn right spin the wheel from the bottom in that direction. This method works for backing up a car or truck with a trailer too. Just grab the top of the wheel and steer in the direction you want to go. Worked every time.

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I unloaded it out along the road and luckily only need to move it 200 yards to the shop.
Once it's there it never has to move again. (it's a multiple parts donor for my F-250)
I just had to know exactly what steering box it was - so I could avoid them in the future. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe a van or bigger truck steering box could be configured this way - if they would even fit.
Sounds like you got it figured out, but FWIW I had a steering gearbox meant for a 1984 E-series van that bolted in place in my '84 F-250 and worked perfectly. Even the same part number ;Sweet

wh1056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did see that there's a bunch of boxes that are the same (Ranger/Bronco II/F-100/150/250/350, etc.) but nothing specified two vs. four wheel drive.
I would like to drive it enough to check out the drivetrain before I dismantle the truck, so I guess I'll have to put my extra box on it anyhow.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did see that there's a bunch of boxes that are the same (Ranger/Bronco II/F-100/150/250/350, etc.) but nothing specified two vs. four wheel drive.
2wd and 4x4 use the same steering box. Pitman arms swap over from one to the other no problem. Sometimes you don't even need to swap arms, as long as the arm's length and amount of drop (or lack thereof) work for what you need.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the reverse steering box too. A 4x4 shop put ps on an early 70's f250. When they were finished it went the wrong way when you turned the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online