1989 F350 5 speed keeps shutting off

jbuck

Reaction score
Looking at a 1987 F-350 crew cab 5 speed 7.3. Truck starts fine and idles good but will not stay running when you take off. Any thoughts. Sounds like a air/fuel leak.

Last edited:

jbuck

Reaction score
Where is the lift pump on this truck? How much? How hard to replace. Thanks that makes sense.

DragRag

Reaction score
Passenger side front on the engine at front cover area. Sounds like either a bad lift pump, plugged filter, or maybe a bad injection pump. Establish fuel pressure, and go from there.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plugged return out of the top of the pump or return system. Raises case pressure and shuts off engine. not often but it does happen.

jbuck

Reaction score
I just remembered where it is, thanks, sorry guys i am learning on the job with the fords, the Cummins is on left side of engine. 2 bolts easy fix. He just replaced the LP so i don't think thats it..

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with dragrag. Change filter to make sure its not clogged. My lift pump did the same thing. Idle and even ran fine up to about 25mph. Got a new one from Auto zone for $25 or $35.

Air would cause it to idle rough and spit sputter. Air would also make it hard to crank.

Fuel leak test. That much all you have to do is look on the ground.