1989 f250 C-6 glowplug problem

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
OK i turn the switch on, the light comes on stays on the full legth of time, but wont crank, so i get out and crawl under the hood and short the relay out and it cranks up pretty easy, so i know i have working glow plugs cause it actually cranks, so whats my problem why wont it work off the switch?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Maybe a fuse? My 93 had a blown fuse and for some odd reason the light would come on and wouldn't crank. I replaced the controller and all gps still nothing. Checked the fuses and the gp and tail lights were blown. May not be on the same fuse tho can't member

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Maybe a fuse? My 93 had a blown fuse and for some odd reason the light would come on and wouldn't crank. I replaced the controller and all gps still nothing. Checked the fuses and the gp and tail lights were blown. May not be on the same fuse tho can't member

I remeber you saying you had some relays or something, do you still have them? and i will check fuses but i would like to have a spare relay, i use to have one before i converted my 86 to solid state glow plugs

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Ya i still have the relay off the black truck. Make an offer on it. Not for sure if it worked because of the bad fuse.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you shorted it out at the starter relay on the fender and it cranked, then it's either the relay is bad or no power from the key switch. Power to the key is always hot from the battery thru a fusible link. Check for voltage at the starter relay with the key on trying to start. Neutral sw. also.

Attachments

• 90 wireing diag..gif
    90 wireing diag..gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 90 wireing diag.3.gif
    90 wireing diag.3.gif
    72.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 90 wiring diag..gif
    90 wiring diag..gif
    89 KB · Views: 7

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If you shorted it out at the starter relay on the fender and it cranked, then it's either the relay is bad or no power from the key switch. Power to the key is always hot from the battery thru a fusible link. Check for voltage at the starter relay with the key on trying to start. Neutral sw. also.

NO NO NO it will turn the engine over, but it will not heat the glow plugs is what im sayingLOL

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing - turns out the Neutral Safety Switch was bad. You can turn the key to on, but will not crank. You jump the starter solenoid and it fires up. The Neutral safety switch can cut the signal to the starter circuit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check the main engine harness plug.... they get corrosion in them and melt because of the heat. Its free to take a looksee....:sly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing - turns out the Neutral Safety Switch was bad. You can turn the key to on, but will not crank. You jump the starter solenoid and it fires up. The Neutral safety switch can cut the signal to the starter circuit.

For the second time! the starter engages and works perfect with the switch,

ITs a glow plug problem, hence the name of the title GLOW PLUG PROBLEMLOL:D come on guys wake up:D too much to drink over the holidays?:rotflmao

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Check the main engine harness plug.... they get corrosion in them and melt because of the heat. Its free to take a looksee....:sly

I see that it has melted and the PO has spliced some wires were the glow plug wires melted out of it

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Wow you get testy real quick.....I think it is time for you to leave! :) Nah, just screwin with you. Sorry for the confusion, just reading the other post, I thought it would start when you jumped it, but not by the switch.

Hell, I have not had enough to drink for the holidays! Maybe this Friday, I can make up for it!

dennis

Reaction score
I see that it has melted and the PO has spliced some wires were the glow plug wires melted out of it

I would look there first. it might be pretty obvious or you might need a multimeter to check the connections.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Wow you get testy real quick.....I think it is time for you to leave! :) Nah, just screwin with you. Sorry for the confusion, just reading the other post, I thought it would start when you jumped it, but not by the switch.

Hell, I have not had enough to drink for the holidays! Maybe this Friday, I can make up for it!
I didn't get any to drink but I'm hoping to make up for it on new years lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin