1988 7.3 idi performance upgrades? Need Help!

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
I have a 1988 F350 custom and other than turning up the pump and adding a turbo, what else can I do to get more power out of it. I've looked into moose mister injectors, pretty spendy. And also what about a propane injection?

1994IDI

Reaction score
Search through the forums of past posts. There is more information in there than you'll need. Youll be reading for days. Then come back with particular questions on the upgrades that interest you. Run searches for subjects that include, intercoolers, moose pumps, injectors, camshafts, propane etc.

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
yeah i've been reading through alot of them and there are so many ideas. I'm not necessarily looking for a complete engine rebuild just yet. If anyone has had success doing the propane injection let me know. Also, which turbo kit would you reccomend to upgrade to, ATS, Banks, or hypermax?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Go with the hypermax turbo. They have teh best customer service by far and it's nice to support the one company that is still developing new products for our old engines. One of their Cowl induction kits makes a world of difference too, turbo spools up faster and lower egts

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
i've heard that the banks kit has some fitting problems, and that the ats and hypermax are usually "bolt up" kits without any major fitting mods needed, what do you think?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i've heard that the banks kit has some fitting problems, and that the ats and hypermax are usually "bolt up" kits without any major fitting mods needed, what do you think?

Ats is a major install pain and 10 times worse if you have to remove it to service anything. Half teh folks get their downpipes and they are too loose and leak, the rest are too tight and you have to grind them down to fit . Their quality control stinks, and their customer service is the worst ever. I can't count teh number of people, self included , who have ordered from them and been lied to continuously for over a month waiting on their stuff to arrive -cuss

The folks at hypermax are helpful and friendly and they dont have their IDI kits scheduled for going out of production. About the only reason it looks like that banks and ats still have kits is the downturn in the economy, turned out the IDI owners were the only ones with any pocket cash for add ons, but as soon as teh economy picks back up to where the new PSD guys can afford goodies again, they will go back on schedule to discontinue.

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
I see, thanks for the input, does hypermax have a website I can look at the exact model I need? or do I just look at independent places for the same model? if so what is it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.