1987 Ford E 350 Drum to Disc conversion

1987FordRV

Reaction score
New to this site. Need help getting a large 26ft motorhome thats built on ford's 1987 1-ton van chassis to stop in a reasonable distance. Darn thing weighs around 11,000lbs plus all the time. Most of the brakes have already been replaced; master cylinder, new upgraded cross drilled rotors up front, all new stuff out back. Pedal still goes to the floor and takes way too long to stop. Has a vacuum assist, not hydro boost; contemplating that and a rear disc conversion. Engine is and old 460 gas, 4bbl holley carb; C6 trans. Background info on me-10yr CDL-A truck driver that recently moved from ohio to southern nevada outside las vegas; have animals, but no kids; self taught mechanic and enjoy fixing things

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if pedal is going to the floor you have a hydraulics problem. rear adjustment or air in the system somewhere. can't remember if 87 E350 had a RABS valve in the system or not........

you have 12.125 x3.5 rear brakes if you have them set up right you shoudl be able to stop it no issues unless you are driving it like a compact racer.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
if pedal is going to the floor you have a hydraulics problem. rear adjustment or air in the system somewhere. can't remember if 87 E350 had a RABS valve in the system or not........

Dunno about the vans, but my truck does

Fix your brakes, then if it's not enough, add hydroboost.
I'm satisfied with my truck with the factory system, if it's over 6K behind me, it's got brakes of it's own....

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After chasing a cure for soft peddle on E350...replaced master, bled rabs and whole system several times then bypassed rabs...finally got peddle back after adjusting rear drums.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86