1993 F350 Sterling Drum to Disc Brake Conversion

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
TSM has been around a long time.

Swapping a diff has never seemed like a huge job to me. Perch spacing on F-series pickups has been the same from mid-'77 till 2010+.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more of a time issue for me... finding an axle in a junk yard, pulling it, then bringing it home and probably will still need to go through it before swapping it. Not to mention the F-Superduty axles where 10 lug so I would have to change wheels too, the newer F-350 dualy disc brake axels also have a different 8 lug pattern than the older OBS F-350s. Not beyond my abilities... just beyond my time right now :). Buy the time I paid for the axle, replaced all the seals and brake components, got new wheels... I probably wouldn't save any money, especially if the ring and pinion gears needed to be replaced.

I bet I could have the conversion kit installed in an afternoon, and I know my ring, pinion and seals are in great shape.

93didually

Reaction score
Hello, new here, I used the e350 van set up on my 93. All parts from a u pick yard, a bit of work but worth it. Also modified the booster for the 99 up master cylinder

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a really nice installation of the E350 disk brakes on a sterling truck axle. I’ll see if I can find the details, I believe there was a little welding involved to mount the piece that the caliper bracket bolts to, and it cones off of the van axle, but don’t quote me as it’s been a while.

93didually

Reaction score
All E250/350 are the same pattern, also Dana 60, E450 Dana 70 or 80 not sure, it has a 4 inch axle tube. Didn't measure spring perch difference as the chassis is wider. Mine is a dually, I had some machine work on the hubs and put a three inch wheel spacer behind the hub to push the rotor back. I think the 08 up use a lager rotor then 07 down.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
INot to mention the F-Superduty axles where 10 lug so I would have to change wheels too...

The 88-97 F-Superduty diff won't fit a pickup. There isn't enough space between the brakes to land the pickup's leaf springs.

If time is an issue, I'd simply rebuild the drum brakes.

EDIT: The E-series DRW diff is a decent candidate to keep 8x6.5". The width is right - just needs the perches moved.

Last edited:

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 88-97 F-Superduty diff won't fit a pickup. There isn't enough space between the brakes to land the pickup's leaf springs.

If time is an issue, I'd simply rebuild the drum brakes.

EDIT: The E-series DRW diff is a decent candidate to keep 8x6.5". The width is right - just needs the perches moved.

Thanks for the info... my rear drum brakes are fine right now... I just hate drum brakes :) so I'm looking down the road for when I do need to rebuilt them.