1986 6.9 in a 70's F-250 or F-350...

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched my 90 gasser from E40D to NP435.. and am currently waffling between keeping that and going back to a c6... The auto definitely simplifies life sometimes, good luck with yer dilemma... bum leg and car seat would seal the deal, I would go slushbox.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do people use for sound and heat proofing? I was thinking of using a roll on bedliner in the engine compartment.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking for me, I love the rattle of a good diesel. I'm just thinking of the boy's hearing...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this weekend I went to do some measuring and checking of dimensions and what parts I had on hand, and I ended up doing a COMPLETE brake job on my dad's 89 F150 2wd and then proceeded to work on changing the spark plugs on my mom's 97 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with the 4.3 in it. First of all, I would like to meet the person who designed that damned Jimmy and kick him square in the seeds for making changing those plugs so much fun. ARGH! My hands still hurt from turning the plugs with the socket by hand behind that steering shaft. And then there is the passenger side...

I love my dad, I really do. But sometimes working with him can make things a little harder, and a bit longer because he wants to inspect the old parts as well as the new parts being taken off and put on. It was frustrating but fun. I really do love spending time with my dad as he is getting older and is still fighting the effects of Vietnam with the shrapnel still in him, and other issues. Sometimes he's hard to be around, but I stick it out, and times like this weekend make it all worth while. It even made not being able to work on my own stuff worth it.

But this coming weekend I am to grab my ruler, my work notebook, and start planning. Money is SOOOOO tight right now, which will make it difficult to do the work at the moment, but I like to spend a lot of time planning anyway. Besides, I am getting my 89 GMC ready to have a 6.2l oil burner in the place of the 350 in it. I'm just tired not being able to make the long trips in the truck and having to borrow my girlfriends Pontiac Vibe. Don't get me wrong it's a fun car, but it's still a shoe box.

Anyway, didn't mean to steal the thread, I just wanted to express my desire to do the same conversion.

magusjinx

Reaction score
There are a ton of conversions out there ... Limited only by ones imagination and determination ...

That being said ... Just a quickie ... On the motor mounts on my '86 F250 6.9 the seem like they are just bolted to the frame ... Could this be true ... Please tell me it is ... I am thinking of removing the motor and would like to take the mounts with it and just have to bolt it to the custom built frame ...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IDI's motor mounts sit on a plate that is just held to the front crossmember by 4 bolts each. Yes, you will want to take these plates to any frame you wish to mount it in. On Fords of the same vintage, these plates will fit like they were made to be there. F-150's Bronco's, anything of similar size. Rangers... no. LTD's... no. However, a welder and torch can fix most issues. I would suggest not welding the plates directly to the unintended recipient. Instead, focus on modding the cross member in such a way that the plates can be bolted on, as intended. This gives you wiggle room, and future options should the engine need a different home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online