1984 F250 convert from Hyd to mechanical clutch linkage

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am searching for input from y'all on whether it is feasible to convert my 1984 F250 from hyd clutch linkage to mechanical.
Right now the engine is out of the truck and the hyd clutch system either needs a kit or replacement.
I'm thinking there is less to go wrong with mechanical linkage as opposed to a hyd set up.
Can this be done?
What's the advantages of hyd linkage?
Thanks in advance.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
You also have less pivot points and linkages that have to flex with the engine. I dont know of any bolt in manual conversions that would work so you would be stuck fabricating some set up and working the bugs out of it.

I am sure it can be done but I personally dont think it is worth it. I have found the hydraulic set up to work well overall and be reliable.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Back in the early 80’s we had a customer that had a (for then) “new body style” 80 or 81 pickup with a 460 / 4spd. He pulled a race bike trailer and was a little ******* things. He had burnt up the clutch so of course “put a heavy duty clutch in. Get a good one” Truck was low miles and only a year or two old. So I ordered and installed it.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Get it together and adjusted. It won’t go into gear unless you shut the engine off! Boss is PO’d. Goes over everything. Comes to the conclusion I must have f’d something up.......tear it apart. I was about to when I noticed something funny. When you depressed the clutch pedal........the cab raised up! It had a manual linkage with a rod running vertically down the firewall to a bellcrank on the frame.Finding nothing broken worn or in need of lube I called the clutch house and Ford. Neither had run into this. In the end I fab’d a nice little set up with a chain and turnbuckle to hold the cab down. The high clamp load clutch pressure plate had not strength than the cab LOL.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
It was funny too because none of the old timers trusted those new “light weight” tinny new (1980-1986) pickups. They all drove bumpsides and dentsides.
SO..... be careful what you wish for. I have had far more issues over the years from all the bellcranks, linkages, bushings etc on the manual systems than all the hyd clutch systems. Sure there are issues wth everything sometimes. Flexing cracked firewalls and worn out master cylinder pushrod bushings happen, but both easily fixed.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes moving technology backwards works. not in this case.

or poly cab mounts and start working out that left leg , buy yourself a knee brace and make sure it fits when your knee is swollen!

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input!!
I have a 1982 F150, 351w, T-18.
Manual linkage, 220k miles, never had one minute of problems from it and I occasionally overloaded it pulling various loads. (Nowadays would probably be jailed if caught by the DOT)
I will try the hyd system.
Also I am upgrading to a 12" clutch.
Thanks

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I wouldn’t change it if you aren’t having problems. Increasing the clutch diameter is a great way to get more torque capacity without increased pedal effort because the gain is not from stiffer springs for more clamp load. The larger disc gives more surface area and better mechanical advantage to hold more torque. Should not be a stiffer pedal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online