1979 VW Diesel Rabbit??

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was given the opportunity to trade my 1997 Subaru legacy that I am selling for a 1979 2 door VW rabbit diesel that is almost completely rust free but has electrical problems. I am trying to figure out what these old cars sell for I would fix and sell it having a 1 1/2 old daughter and a car seat in a 2 door car sucks. I don't need another car and would rather have some cash to buy a gear venders for my truck.

So any information would be great

Thanks everyone!

JOHN

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
the clean low mileage one are still worth up to maybe 3 grand, but thats pushing it. 2 grand is common. It will have the 1.5l in it with mechanical lifters, unless someone dropped a later 1.6 in it. The 1.6 is easier to get parts for. They are great little cars and I would buy it from you if you were close by. They do have some idiosyncracies such as wiring, but bad grounds are usually the culprits.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
If it is having electrical problems check out the fuse box. They like to leak around the lower windshield cowl area right onto the fuse box. Common prob.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. it was a bit rougher than what I was told it was the fuse box was hanging down by the wires and someone had cut and spliced a bunch of stuff together. I found a local guy that wanted a project so I just sold it about a half hour ago.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Good show man!! Good thing you didn't drive it much because I think you would have loved it LOL. I remember when they used to be a dime a dozen but now I would do anything to have another haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online