1978 f250 gas to diesel conversion.

Winchester

Reaction score
Hey there,
I am putting a 6.9L diesel in my 1978 f250 4x4. It originally had a 400m gas engine in it. I am at the point of installing the 6.9 and make motor mounts to secure the engine. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion. Is there motor mounts out there that make it much easier or do I have to manufacture up some myself. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Found this thread:

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own by modifying the big block stands, welded the original frame mounts and motor mounts that they were attached to onto the big block stands, been years since i did that

Joelcturner

Reaction score
I put a 7.3 in my 1977 f250. I removed the crossmember from the donor truck and welded that in place of my factory crossmember on the '77. The original crossmember would have needed modifications anyways to clear the idi's pan.
You must be registered for see images attach

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
I admit I am getting old, but as I recall someone was using 460 mounts upside down. Might have been for a cummins.

77 F-250

Reaction score
If memory serves, the motor mount bolts on the IDIs are in line and the late 70's one side is back about an inch. I cropped out the motor mount plate (metal plate between motor mount and nut) and flipped it over on one side moving the notch forward to line them up. Custom mounted the transmission cross member the get the right motor angle. Level the frame and used a torpedo level air cleaner. I used a remote oil filter because the axle dented the filter with plow mounted.
Good luck with your build

77 F-250

Reaction score
Sorry for last post, that was for 351M to 351W. I used the 87 frame mounting plates and cut the 79 frame brackets to fit.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
Hey there,
I am putting a 6.9L diesel in my 1978 f250 4x4. It originally had a 400m gas engine in it. I am at the point of installing the 6.9 and make motor mounts to secure the engine. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion. Is there motor mounts out there that make it much easier or do I have to manufacture up some myself. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
I did this by using the stock motor mount towers from the 71, and cutting the tops off at the matching angle to the motor mounts bolted to the IDI block. I made a flat plate to match both holes on the mount, and welded the new top on the tower. The passenger side tower needs to be removable from the frame to pull or install the engine, but my 71 frame is narrower than your 78, so it may not matter to yours. This was done in about 1994 or so, but cannot find the pictures anymore. Good luck!