1975 f250 6.9 rebuild

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. Unfortunately this morning doing some more looking it appears I may have a burnt exhaust valve, there was a few times I let the egts get a little hot so that makes sense for the “ash” I’ll call it. That’s kind of how it feels and acts like once you scrape it of. But you can clearly see the edge of the valve has been heated up to the point where it blew away kind of like what an Oxy-Acetylene torch does.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You will see that around the pre-chamber outlet on any IDI running high EGT’s. Nothing to worry about just make sure the pre-chambers are not cracked past the fire ring.
Thanks Wes. That was my best guess for an explanation. A little like reading a spark plug.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow, makes me want to build my extended cab 79 but CA smog laws are keeping that out of the question for now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I was to build a Dent Side with an IDI (and why wouldn't I?), that's what I'd be looking to start with. Just maybe not a Camper Special, and definitely not at that price.

Chief

Reaction score
Yeah, that seems pretty high. I’d expect maybe 1/4 of that price, unless it has auto pilot than maybe I’d splurge.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool truck man! I love it. I love that combo.

For what it’s worth, if you aren’t building a monster, idit rods (and pistons because they are different wrt wrist pin size right guys?) will be more than adequate. Unless you really just want to spend the money on it. Lower end is usually not the weak spot. Better off to spend your money on the top end. Far more likely to have valve train issues.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Cool truck man! I love it. I love that combo.

For what it’s worth, if you aren’t building a monster, idit rods (and pistons because they are different wrt wrist pin size right guys?) will be more than adequate. Unless you really just want to spend the money on it. Lower end is usually not the weak spot. Better off to spend your money on the top end. Far more likely to have valve train issues.
Well said, Sir.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember how I was saying that it’s usually the young guys asking that price? Well I’m pretty sure that’s from a family around here and one of the grandkids is trying to get every dime he can from it. They also recently sold a 65 f-250 428 with a 5spd overdrive Clark and divorced np205 for around 12k. And yeah perhaps I’ll keep the bottom end stock but I sure would like to have as much beef as possible.

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update, things have been going very slowly with my babygirl being born and then getting laid off because of this virus bs. However, I did pick up a set of some R&D rails. I’m working on boxing and coating the frame as well as new cab mounts. I’m waiting until things settle down a little more before I send my block to get machined. The fellow at crackaway machining in Stockton CA seems to be pretty knowledgeable and experienced in rebuilding these idi’s so I might go with him. He quoted me 2800 to sleeve it and do all the other things involved with an overhaul.

You must be registered for see images attach

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man no obvious internal damage and no sludge at all. I’ve decided to keep it a 7.3 bore but the machinist insists on putting sleeves in it. And checking every clearance 5 times over because it blew the frost plug out in such a weird spot.

Last edited:

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m glad it wasn’t damaged. It’s probably a good idea to sleeve it. That engine had 297,000 miles and ran pretty bad when I got it. It is pretty odd that it would blow that rear freeze plug like it did
For as many miles as it had the crosshatch still looked decent, it was amazingly clean on the inside, it seems it was taken very good care of most of its life.