17,000 between truck and trailer

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't the heaviest a lot of you guys pull, but was probably one of the highest I've pulled. I took the truck and loaded trailer to the coop and weighed. The works came in at 17,240lbs. I figure about 6k of that was the truck. We took the trailer loaded with antique tractors to a weekend long tractor show. Truck did good. I was able to set the cruise at 60 in 4th gear and let it work. Speed limit is 55 around here. I ran 6-7 PSI of boost most of the time at 2200RPM. Water temps seemed high, but I never overheated. My gauge is installed in the water pump and ran around 222 or so. Oh and I ran a/c the whole time. Outdoor temps were in the low 90's on the way home and sticky.

I can't get a picture uploaded now. I'll try again later....

PICTURE

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
222 is not uncomfortably high. 235+ is.
in the heat, you did fine. what is your rear axle weight on the truck?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Not to bad heat wise and that's a pretty light weight truck, mines sitting right around 7k lbs (but its got a flatbed) :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So your telling us the temp gauge sender is located in the water pump and you saw 222 degrees. Thats too hot. Your seeing tempsAFTER the radiater. I also run my factory temp gauge sender in the water pump but my isspro aftermarket gauge is in the foactory location. When I see 200 degrees on the isspro gauge the dash gauge sender in the water pump is barely up to the N in normal. Get your temps from the factory locations or if you get them from the over temp sender location in the front of the drivers side head that wil work but... The head location will show a temp thats about 7 degrees hotter that the stock location. The stock location is in the connecter that runs under the injection pump. Thats the place both heads combine for the thermostst. Nice load you ran and really glad to know the rig did it ok without complaining.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the rear axle weight on the truck was. I figure there was probably 1k of tongue weight on the truck. I'm also using a weight distributing hitch. I weighed just the trailer on the scale as I drove off and it's axles weighed 9900lbs. So I'm thinking the trailer weighed around 11K plus or minus.

I could easily be all wet on my truck weight, but my crewcab weighed in at 7300 last time I weighed it so i figured a regular cab would weigh 1,000lbs less. I keep meaning to weigh it.

I'm concerned about my temps. I knew the water pump location would give me cooler temps and was surprised they ran that warm there. I thought they were reasonable, but would prefer to have them lower. I hit 229 for a few minutes and then it went down. Factory gauge did move similar swings to what I was seeing with the aftermarket. Factory never went past the A. I'm wondering if the fan kicked in around the 229. I've got a drone right now so I couldn't hear if the fan kicked in or not. Am I correct in thinking if I'm already running on the warm side that if I turn up my pump I'm going to make it worse? I never went over 900 on the Pyrometer and never saw black smoke under hard throttle so I think more fuel is in order, but don't want to make it run warmer yet.

I always am wondering about 4.10 versus 3.55 gears. I've kept 3.55 gears for the empty or light load cruising speeds and rpms, but dragging this big wind sail around is making me lean towards some lower gears. Truthfully I think a set of 3.73's would be great.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I think I did this getting around 9.5 mpg. So not horrible mileage considering the weight.

You must be registered for see images attach

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impressive when a truck is actually used for work! But that's why we are out here. I bet the truck is happy it got to haul for once instead of just being pretty

Which is it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online