16 extra gallons of fuel chevy side impact explosion tank

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheaper option than aftermarket tanks
this extra 16 gallons combined with my 38gal rear tank nearly doubles my range without losing any bed space

new plastic tank, sender and mounts from an early 80's chevy
I massaged the floor under the seat belt mount also heated and dented the tank about an inch

might not be needed but this let the tank tuck higher under the body by several inches
sits higher than my exhaust, t-case and running boards

installed a cheap universal pump and ran a line under the bed to the filler for the factory side tank
wired a timer switch to the dash so I don't run the pump dry and burn it up
whipped up a skid plate and rigged a filler from an old CJ in the wheel well behind the inner fender

you could install one on both sides of the truck but I have a diesel heater and cabin battery for camping / road trips on the drivers side

You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice install. Do you still have the factory front 19 gallon tank also? If so that would be 73 gallons with the 3 tanks.

I have the 38 also, have it plumbed straight to the engine and back. The 19 gallon will be a transfer tank, have a Facet pump mounted under the hood.
Iam thinking maybe a pressure switch to turn it off so doesn`t run dry.

If you are using the pump while driving, and you get into a wreck, what is going to turn your pump off?
There is a Hobbs switch which runs off oil pressure, and if the engine dies, it cuts off the pump.

Goat

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, the stock front tank is still there, I'd love to have an oversize transfer flow front tank, but they are expensive and hard to find

I saw the super duty front tank swap, but don't like how low it hangs, so I went with this option

I used this timer switch, a pressure switch is probably a better idea

I'm guessing that I have the same crash shut off as almost everyone who replaces their factory lift pump with electric. none.
I'm not too worried about it, diesel is pretty safe

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Cool swap!

I'm impressed theres room underneath. Those saddle-tank chevies had a ~4" narrower frame (than your ford) and a bulging cab floor to help accomodate them.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of how it connects to the factory tank? How you fill the factory tank after the pump.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not much to see at this point, its pretty buried. had to jam the phone up into the fender for pics
used a step bit to drill a hole just large enough to jam the first thread of a 3/8 brass street 90 into the filler neck
cleaned it up with acid and used silver solder to seal it, could have brazed it or used a steel fitting and welded it
probably could have used silicone or rtv too

here's the fill and transfer pump too:

hidden away behind the plastic inner fender

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty much no changes to the factory set up, filling is normal

I thought about tee-ing into the return line before the selector valve
doing that would let me choose which tank to refill, but I decided against it
I didn't want to install mods that risk reliability, if I got a leak in the new fuel line or pump I could be stranded
doing it this way is very simple. it's completely stand alone and can't leave me on the side of the road

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online