12v swap a/c question

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a setup from a '93 F-350 ... it used the stock ford alternator and the stock A/C compressor .. I would sell the whole setup with A/C compressor for $350 ... ;lus shipping ... it mounted the customized ford alternator bracket onto the cummins engine and used the original ford serpentine belt... I would throw in the alternator for a little more...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I used the dodge ac pump with the ford system, works very nice air some times is just too cool.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wht kind of compressor is on the cummins? it might be a better compressor. It's fairly easy to make up custom hoses to match up to different ac systems, if you dont have a local ac shop that can help you out with that to make up some hoses ( which you should without too much trouble, it's not hard you just need one from the accumulator to the compressor inlet and one from the compressor outlet to concenser inler, one from condenser outlet to orifice tube inlet with preferably a filter in the last one and possibly a filter in the first one ), PM me and I can fix you up
I think that Dodge used a Sanden compressor on those, if they did, you would be better off with it than the ford compressor.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if my ac is a V belt system?

I done been there and done that. :)

V-belt A/C compressor is super easy.

Unless you cut a huge notch in the engine cross-member, it is not possible to use the Cummins/Sanden compressor in the Cummins location.

I sandwiched a big B-groove V-belt pulley in front of the Cummins fan-pulley.

I just went to the local lawn-mower repair guy and dug through a barrel of junk pulleys until I found one of sufficient diameter to lap closely over the serpentine pulley and have about 1/8" clearance between the two belts.

A machinist friend precision-drilled the six holes for the mounting screws, so it would run true and not "lope".

I very-much prefer the two-belt/V-belt system over a single serpentine system.

I can remove the V-belt without dis-abling the serpentine system.

I can add any number of V-belt accessories simply by building brackets.

In my honest opinion, a V-belt system beats even an 8-rib serpentine system.

The V-belts are less apt to slip and it is ever so much easier to add or remove accessories.

I have my original 1985 Ford compressor in pretty-much the original location via a homemade bracket.

I didn't even evacuate the system; I just layed the compressor over the wheel-well while the swap was done and didn't lose a speck of refrigerant.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I done been there and done that. :)

V-belt A/C compressor is super easy.

Unless you cut a huge notch in the engine cross-member, it is not possible to use the Cummins/Sanden compressor in the Cummins location.

I sandwiched a big B-groove V-belt pulley in front of the Cummins fan-pulley.

I just went to the local lawn-mower repair guy and dug through a barrel of junk pulleys until I found one of sufficient diameter to lap closely over the serpentine pulley and have about 1/8" clearance between the two belts.

A machinist friend precision-drilled the six holes for the mounting screws, so it would run true and not "lope".

I very-much prefer the two-belt/V-belt system over a single serpentine system.

I can remove the V-belt without dis-abling the serpentine system.

I can add any number of V-belt accessories simply by building brackets.

In my honest opinion, a V-belt system beats even an 8-rib serpentine system.

The V-belts are less apt to slip and it is ever so much easier to add or remove accessories.

I have my original 1985 Ford compressor in pretty-much the original location via a homemade bracket.

I didn't even evacuate the system; I just layed the compressor over the wheel-well while the swap was done and didn't lose a speck of refrigerant.

When I was doing My first 6bt swap on My own ford truck I asked a lot of questions to MNR and saved Myself money and frustration thanks to His advise. It is true, You might need to cut the CM to fit the dodge ac pump on a ford when swapping a 6bt but that also depends on the engine mounts You are using and where they sit the engine. I cut a big chunk from the CM and with the mounts I had I could've got away with just a few inches, but I was doing it with the transmission connected but not fully seated at the time. Also I removed a rear bracket that hold the compressor to the engine that was unnecessary to Me and made My own, that alone saved lots of space to clear it from the CM.
If You do keep the dodge compressor, make sure You sit the engine at the exact level it will sit when the transmission is connected to it ad sits on its own CM, that will save You a lot of guessing.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor on the Cummins should be a Sanden. A very good compressor. I'd go with that and have a local shop make the necessary AC hoses to adapt the Ford truck to the Sanden compressor.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing as I definitely am no A/C expert, I ain't going to argue which compressor is the better, but I will share my own personal experiences.

There are FOUR running 1st Gen. Dodge/Cummins trucks sitting in the driveway as I type, all with several hundred-thousand miles less than my Ford, plus numerous running engines hidden away here and there.

My old F-350 is 1985 with the original half-a-million-miles-plus compressor still going strong.

Of the four Dodges sitting here with Sanden compressors, all younger than my truck by at least five years, I know for fact that three of them have had the Sanden to fail and lock-up while we have owned them and I can't speak for certain on the fourth truck.

Also, the Sanden that was mounted on the engine I installed in my truck was locked-up with only 68,000 miles on the engine.

On the other hand, the NEW Sanden, and entirely new A/C system, every hose, evaporator, condenser, everything, on the wife's truck will freeze the testicles off a brass monkey, much better than my Ford. :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thing is the sanden design is just a superior design. Even the sanden clones will cool better and last longer than most other factory compressors, I install the 709 type in everything . Those critters will flat put out some cold ( next time I feel like getting creative and making some brackets, my truck will get a 709 clone, one of those things will feed my dual AC system much better than what I've got now) THey dont load the engine up like most compressors do when hard cooling on real hot days, you wont feel the drag when under acceleration. , most compressors you will feel them pull your power down, but the sanden, especially the 709 is more efficient.
A lot of compressors have the same capacity or more, but the 709 has 7 cylinders, to divide it up and smooth things out, makes a world of difference ( 709 = 7 cylinders, 9 cubic inches , the older 508 was 5 cylinders , 8 cubic inches, darn near the same capacity and same footprint, but not as smooth or efficient , the 709 was made to supercede it in any application)
if you need prefab parts to weld up custom compressor brackets to remount them, Jon at www.nostalgicairparts.com has them. Best prices on new compressors too.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of compressors have the same capacity or more, but the 709 has 7 cylinders, to divide it up and smooth things out, makes a world of difference ( 709 = 7 cylinders, 9 cubic inches , the older 508 was 5 cylinders , 8 cubic inches, darn near the same capacity and same footprint, but not as smooth or efficient , the 709 was made to supercede it in any application)
Is there a way to externally tell the difference between a 709 and a 508?

Sounds like the 709's the way to go...

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check bigger trucks, Ford had a cummins in IIRC a F700. The bracket system used moves everything up and away from the frame and crossmember. I'll see about getting some pictures and a little more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online