12 Valve Power "HELP"

Smokin 7.3 IDI

Reaction score
hey all, just bought a 91 12 valve with a powerstroke intercooler not fac ic, pod injectors, hx 40, and some little pump work, runs real strong but looking for more, i was hopin you all could give me some idea

thanks everyone

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Killer Dowel pin taken care ASAP if it hasnt already been delt with.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score

Smokin 7.3 IDI

Reaction score
auto but have everything for the swap just havent got to it yet, its not a bad turbo, when you lay into it, it will shoot a big cloud and clears itself right up, but when im done with the truck i would like to push like 350 to 400 horse will it handle it

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
300-350 is about what the limits of the VE. You *may* be able to get 400 with extensive modificaitons. You'll be good for 300-350 with the PODs and the HX40. If the HX is toast then you can go to another turbo like the S300 or something but until the HX craps out I'd stick with it. With the right tuning the VE can make the PODs flow enough fuel to get the power you want. If you don't have gauges yet that should be first priority then the 3200 RPM spring. After that you should look into a 4" exhaust if you don't already have that. You may also want to consider a piston lift pump swap to keep the VE fed with enough fuel. An ATS exhaust manifold may help you pick up a few ponies and lower EGTs a little, as will a cam, porting and polishing the head, gasket matching everything, etc. Oh, almost forgot, if you're running more than about 30 psi of boost the head will need to be fire ringed to keep from popping the head gasket which will make you day not so fun.

Your biggest limiter is the A518 which is basically a 46RH. They just can't handle serious power. If you swapping to a bolt action go with the NV4500 with an appropriate clutch for you application.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
x2 on the KDP and the lift pump, You want the VE to have enough fuel or all the mods in the world won't make it pull any harder, for this I would also get a fuel pressure gauge. Oh and the auto tranny really isn't going to help You FEEL the power, may want to upgrade to a better converter or bolt action.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Cummins, Dodge, or NAPA. Just ask them for a lift pump or transfer pump for a '94-'98 12v Cummins truck. You'll have to do a little modification to get it to fit properly but it's pretty easy to do.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Now here is a word of advise, the VE can take 15psi all day but I was told by My local Bosch shop to not go past that and after re sealing the entire pump Myself I understand why. Get a pressure gauge and a pressure regulator if You want it to be safe. Oh and if You get a analog pressure gauge go to a hydraulic hose shop and have them make You a hose with the fittings You need instead of the flimsy plastic tube they come with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online